• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gout

Your doc may prescribe Indomethacin for your flare up if severe. If your gout is a recurring problem, he may prescribe Allopurinol for long term treatment. Fun, huh?
Suffered from it your years. It hurt for the sheet to touch it, much less a shoe or sock. Went to a church picnic and a friend saw me limping and asked “why”? I told him gout. He sympathized and said he used to get flare ups until his doctor prescribed Allopurinol. Hadn’t had it since. Naturally I immediately asked my doctor about it. His response? Oh yeah, there is that. After calling him everything but physician, he prescribed it for me. About 8 years later and never had it again. I might forget to take my BP meds, but I never forget my Allopurinol. Never. That’s how bad that **** hurts. Good luck and I feel your pain.

As savannahboy said with scripts. Allopurinol is awesome at maintaining uric acid levels. It has very minimal side effects and is cheap. It takes one time for it to get built up to therapeutic levels and before it could create an attack. I have kidney disease and as a result severe gout. I take 300 mg daily on allopurinol. 400 is max dose and your Dr will usually start you on 100 and increase based on blood test. In regards to diet some folks can get away with certain things and never have a problem others it will trigger a major attack. #1 universal trigger is High fructose corn syrup. Beyond that satu well hydrated and monitor your food to find out what creates issues for you. Mushrooms and cauliflower are huge triggers for me.
The cherry juice people talk about is an anti-inflammatory it will only attend to the symptoms and not the problem itself.
Wish ya the best and keep you head up! It won't last forever.

Oh no, not the dreaded gout! Been battling it for years. Quit drinking, that helped. Laid off of peanuts (loads of uric acid in them), that helped. Got on the daily maintenance drug, Allopurinol, that helped. Have learned that any foods that contain purines will give you gout. Especially things like peanuts, peas (legumes), and wine/alcohol. The biggest issue I have faced with gout is staying fully hydrated. Any time I start to get the least bit dehydrated I can feel twinges of pain in my big toe, ankle, and /or knees. Best advice: stay hydrated, lay off alcohol, stay away from foods that contain purines (source of uric acid). Best wishes!

My son just got Gout on Monday, he was acting like a Baby, I was not going to help him but my wife was nagging me. I have him those pills that once you get Gout it helps you pass the crystals. He was fine after 2 days. All, the males in my family get Gout.

Back
Top Bottom