• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Gracie Jiu Jitsu for my Grandson

maybe, but most fights ive been in or witnessed did not involve any amount of grappling and typically involved alcohol lol. and per real wrld fighting i dont think id want to be grappling in a street fight; way to easy for a friend of theirs to get involved and grappling is a 1 on 1 thing IMO. im not a self defense expert by any means i just know in a street fight to avoid going to the ground even if thats where most fights end up
You have a point about multiple opponents, but most fights are one on one. As you say, most of them end up on the ground anyway. In BJJ they train to take them there on purpose. If the other fighter wants to stay on their feet, they would need to be very well trained in how to do that.

As to the multiple opponent problem, BJJ can very quickly disable the other person if that's what the fighter wants. In most fights you can simple get the other person to submit and quit fighting without doing major damage to them. However, if you have to deal with more than one opponent, those joint locks turn into joint breaks and they can be done almost immediately. Many of them without ever going to the ground.

You have a point about multiple opponents, but most fights are one on one. As you say, most of them end up on the ground anyway. In BJJ they train to take them there on purpose. If the other fighter wants to stay on their feet, they would need to be very well trained in how to do that.

As to the multiple opponent problem, BJJ can very quickly disable the other person if that's what the fighter wants. In most fights you can simple get the other person to submit and quit fighting without doing major damage to them. However, if you have to deal with more than one opponent, those joint locks turn into joint breaks and they can be done almost immediately. Many of them without ever going to the ground.
ohhh im not saying its useless, its just i often hear "well this is better than this style". i find its all good as long as someone is staying active and fit. truth of the matter is size and weight is really what makes the difference.

best fighting technique i picked up was how to read an opponent and avoid the fight if it was clear id lose....or just avoid the fight anyway beause getting punched in the face sucks and ive never once enjoyed that

ohhh im not saying its useless, its just i often hear "well this is better than this style". i find its all good as long as someone is staying active and fit. truth of the matter is size and weight is really what makes the difference.

best fighting technique i picked up was how to read an opponent and avoid the fight if it was clear id lose....or just avoid the fight anyway beause getting punched in the face sucks and ive never once enjoyed that
Avoiding a fight is almost always a good idea.

You should check out how BJJ has been used in the real world. There are a ton of Youtube videos of real street fights. Also, Helio Gracie, the founder of the modern style of Gracie Jiu Jitsu, had an open invitation to any other fighter of any style or size to try and beat him. He even offered a $100,000 reward for anyone that could. Many tried, none did.

When the Gracie family got involved with the early UFC, Royce Gracie was specifically chosen to represent Gracie Jiu Jitsu because he was the smallest of Helio's sons. They wanted to prove that it was not about size or strength, but about the technique itself. Royce won the first three championships going up against fighters that were much bigger and stronger than him in fights where there were basically no rules and no rounds. Royce weighed 176lbs and was the smallest competitor.

Gracie Jiu Jitsu is not just another fighting style.

Gracie Jiu-Jitsu is definitely a legit fighting style, and it's great that your grandson is learning respect, self-discipline, and real fighting skills at the same time.
I'm a big fan of martial arts myself, and I think it's important to have a good instructor who can teach you the proper techniques and principles. Speaking of which, if you're ever interested in learning a new martial art, you might want to check out some boxing classes. It's a great workout, and it's also a useful skill to have in case you ever need to defend yourself. If you do decide to give it a try, be sure to get the best boxing gloves you can find to protect your hands!

Back
Top Bottom