Gun for wife

My wife found that the bersa 380 fit her hand well and it is a very reliable gun with little recoil. Also she liked the safety features that made it reasonable to purse carry

The Ruger LCP is the hardest kicking gun I have on my range due to the fact that it is so light & has such a small grip with which to distribute the recoil.
Women like it because it is "cute", but often change their mind after the first shot.

Bersa's, Walther's, Beretta's, & other larger framed .380's have larger grips/ backstraps & more weight that help reduce perceived recoil.

Ruger LCP's are easy usually reliable & easy to conceal/carry but are not always the best choice for a woman.

My wife has owned a g26, Kahr p380, and Kahr CW9. She currently carries a Ruger LCR in .38 and loves it. Easy to conceal and easy to use.

The LCR is the most preferred revolver that we use to train with.
The light (for a revolver) trigger, straight backstrap, & large rubber Hogue grip w/ air pocket make them very user-friendly.
So much so that I replaced my class S&W's w/ the Rugers.... mainly due to the lighter trigger.

I liked hers so much I bought the .357 version of the LCR as my primary CCW.

That's funny.... my wife has a Glock 19, Ruger LCR, & S&W Bodyguard .380 but likes the simplicity of the LCR so she "appropriated" it from the collection I use in classes so I bought the .357 version to replace it. We always shoot .38's through it though.

It usually depends on what mines wearing in the winter time mine usually carries and m and p 40c and in the summer she carries a shield 9mm. There are as many answers for this question as there are members of this forum. It's gonna all depend on te amount of clothes she has to put on to conceal it. I personally like when mine only has on enough to hide a .22 derringer.:)

We have several that we let people try out in class for "handfit" & to insure they can manipulate the slide, release the cylinder, etc.

Then we bring them to the range to take them for a test drive.
Just like when some women pick out a pair of shoes, sometimes they have to "try on" several pair, so to speak, before they find the right one.
Sometimes they know after the first shot or magazine which one they prefer. Other times they have to shoot several rounds to get a feel for it.

Occasionally they come back to one they didn't think they liked once they get a frame of reference by trying others for comparison.
It's a balancing act of letting them try enough different ones to find the right one for them but not overwhelming them w/ different platforms.

Once they pick one, & sometimes two, the next challenge is helping them find a carry system or a method to have it readily at hand whether that's on their person, in their vehicle, or at home.... while also keeping it secure from children or others.

I'll make a list & PM it to you.

Last edited:
My wife has small hands so she is limited to what she can shoot. In the car she prefers her Glock 19. For CC she prefers her Taurus M85 (pre lock stainless model), and at the range she prefers the Python.

Back
Top Bottom