• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gun suggestions for a bird hunt out west

I lived out in Oklahoma about 15 miles from the Texas border. I hunted quail, dove and turkey. I use just a regular old Remington 870 Wingmaster with a 28 inch barrel and a full choke. Use that for 5 years and it served me very well. I was looking at shotguns at Sportsman's Warehouse the other day and they have a real nice Benelli for around $900 which would work great but it just depends on how much you want to spend you can go from Mossberg all the way up to Benelli and pretty much get the same job done. Do you want a gun it's going to get the job done or one that you have some bragging rights on cuz that's basically all it boils down to.

"just want a good quality gun I can use and keep using through the years and eventually pass down to my sons"

Don't get too hung up on an heirloom for your sons. Get a good quality gun that you like and works for you. :cool:

If you will be shooting 3" shells for Turkey next Spring, then there are plenty of options.
If you will be shooting 3 1/2" shells for Turkey next Spring, then there are significantly fewer options.

Hey y'all,
I've never gone bird hunting, don't know much about it honestly. I've shot clays a handful of times but couldn't really tell you what guns I used. Anyway, I have a trip out west coming up in a few weeks that I've been procrastinating getting ready for... and I need to get a 12 gauge. Y'all got any suggestions? I'd like to try out some turkey hunting this spring here in GA the gun should be able to pull double duty. Thanks.
If you send me a message I’ll give you my number. I have hunted quail, pheasants, ducks and geese all over the west…from Kansas and South Dakota to Arizona and Texas.
And most states in between…
”Bird hunting” is a pretty vague description and the right gun could vary depending on exactly where & what you are hunting.
I would be glad to talk it over with you and give you my 2cents worth.
If you just need to buy something quick then you can NOT go wrong with a Benelli or Beretta automatic…and there are some nice ones for sale on ODT.

Back
Top Bottom