• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Gun suggestions for a bird hunt out west

fishblister

Default rank <15 posts
Outdoorsman
2   0
Reaction score
Hey y'all,
I've never gone bird hunting, don't know much about it honestly. I've shot clays a handful of times but couldn't really tell you what guns I used. Anyway, I have a trip out west coming up in a few weeks that I've been procrastinating getting ready for... and I need to get a 12 gauge. Y'all got any suggestions? I'd like to try out some turkey hunting this spring here in GA the gun should be able to pull double duty. Thanks.

What’s your budget and do you have an action preference (pump vs auto)?

If you’re wanting to stay cheap, a good combo barrel pump gun will work well.

An auto will have less recoil but will cost a little more. I like the Mossberg 940 Pro but there are tons of good options.

Budget is probably around 1500 or so, I'm thinking auto, but honestly just want a good quality gun I can use and keep using through the years and eventually pass down to my sons

Benelli, Beretta or Browning.
Those are two very different types of hunting and will require different types of chokes.
You will be using more open chokes for upland hunting and tight chokes for Turkey.

Depends on what type you like. Remington, Browning, Benelli, Beretta and so on. Main thing is to pattern the gun experimenting with different chokes and ammo. That'll make the biggest difference. You'll need to spend some time shouldering and shooting different ones to see what fits you best. You get it right, you'll have a great weapon combo

If the budget is tight, check out a Beretta A300 28" or if you can spend a little more consider the Beretta A400.
Over/Under are popular for upland hunting. You may be able to find a good used Browning Citori or a Beretta Silver Pigeon in your price range 💰

$1500 will get you a really good auto. Personally, I’d lean towards a cheaper gun and buy a few different chokes and ammos for it and figure out what it likes. Mossberg 940 Pro, Winchester SX4, Franchi Affinity 3, and the Beretta A300 are all under $1,000 and all should work well. Get the one that fits you best.

I’d probably run a modified choke (I like Carlson’s) for the birds and an extra full for Turkey of course.

Back
Top Bottom