• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Guns in the home

Grew up with a gun rack right outside my bedroom door, my fear of what my father would do to me outweighed my curiosity of the gun.
Fast forward to now, all my guns are locked up. Only 2 hand on the exact gun rack that hung at my fathers house when I was a kid
My sons cricket.22 that he refuses to shoot cause it’s not threaded for a suppressor and his 20ga shotgun. Unloaded with no ammo around, he has been exposed to guns since birth, those guns on the rack may as well be pictures on the wall. He knows how to handle one as well as all the safety rules and he will remind me sometimes as well when I’m not “following “ them. But the best part is he loves to sight in my rifles!!! Good boy

Brought up with guns at easy access. Mom and Dad raised 4 of us with no fatalities. There was many ass warmings growing up. When our girls came around they were raised the same way. They are 1 yr apart . As soon as they could shoot I would let them and show them the damage a bullet does when skinning a deer. At 7yrs they got there own buckmark pistols and we shot alot. Yes I did put them away but not sure we would have needed to. I never played dolls with them and to this day they still ask me to go to the range with them. They are 23 an 24 now an have no worries about there ability to defend themselves or others. I only hope that when the time comes they will teach there children the importance of gun safety and the importance of the Right To Keep And Bear Arms.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have 2 kids. If I had guns, I definitely would keep them locked up in case of a break in, not so much my family. I can leave anything out, including cash and it’s not touched. My fear is young kids possibly breaking in and having access to them. I don’t think anything is safe from a professional thief with skills. After columbine, I believe it’s a good idea and it’s not a big inconvenience.

Another side effect of teaching kids to handle , respect , and to use firearms at an early age is the fact that you get to them before the world teaches them something different. Believe that !
As harsh as it may sound, I would much rather one of my sons were armed at 12+ years old than my wife in a situation where I wasn't home and something bad was going down. They just have the nerve for it and she didn't.

I have the majority of my guns under lock and key but they don’t do you any good if you don’t have access to them. I have two boys and since they been little,they have had BB guns then 22 rifles then 22 pistols and so on. They are 16 and 13 and know they don’t even get the BB gun out without permission and explanation of why they what if and what they are going to do. I say start them young and teach them and shoot with them as often as possible, it teaches them responsibility. Just my two cents

Cooter69

I,was also raised in a firearm friendly home. I was infactuated with my dads and grandfathers guns at a very young age. I also had guns at a much younger age than would even be considered in todays world. But I had to earn the priviledge by showing responsibility over interest. Some of my first guns were gifts. Some were earned with money from side jobs after school and summer break.My internet consisted of a set of encyclopedias and 3 channels on a black and white tv. And if a a** beating was deserved it was swiftly administered. I think when society decided against such attitude adjustments, things started heading south.

Preach on brother !! Amen

Cooter69

Got my ass whooped a couple times for getting into dad's liquor cabinet.
And I got whooping for take his F100 and driving without permission (well, without license as well...) lol
It was something like this, I remember:
1951-Ford-3-Speed-Column-Shifter-dash.jpg

I think it's generally a bad idea to allow kids easy access to guns, ESPECIALLY paramilitary guns and handguns, made for combat. Kids are more likely to see those as people-killing weapons than sports equipment (hunting or target shooting).

That includes teenagers, too. Teenagers can be stupid, reckless, impulsive, suicidal, homicidal, and vulnerable to peer pressure. Your kid may not have any interest in robbing the 7-11 with the 12 gauge he knows you keep in the coat closet in the hallway, BUT he might be persuaded to lend it to one of his buddies, whose older brother runs with a gang and needs to borrow a gun for one night, for one robbery, and then needs to get rid of the gun ASAP (he'll give it back to his friend who will return it to your son soon after).

And, as others have said, many parents are deaf, dumb, and blind to the faults of their own kids. That's why all those babymommas are on TV when their sons get shot down by police following a robbery and a wild car chase in a freshly-stolen car. "Oh, Lawd, my baby done got kilt. My precious baby boy would never do robbery or anything like that by hisself; he was just running with the wrong kind of crowd."

Back
Top Bottom