• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gunstock saturated with gun oil (ideas on how to remove please)

All those methods sound pretty good. It really depends on the extent you don't want to have a acetone logged stock... warm it up with a hair dryer first. Wrap it in the rag and wrap the rag in plastic around it... a plastic that will not react with the acetone it's nice if the rag is warm too. And then you just keep repeating the process. It is patience you start to do stuff too fast and you're going to screw up some grain or something

Learned this from an old vet that used to restore CMP rifles packed in cosmoline, make sure you warn the missus first. Run the stock through your dishwasher using the pots and pans cycle. The hot water and steam should get the oil out, the steam will raise any dent and dings too.

I did this to an SKS, cleaned the wood of all gunk and also all the steel parts I put in the silverware basket.

Learned this from an old vet that used to restore CMP rifles packed in cosmoline, make sure you warn the missus first. Run the stock through your dishwasher using the pots and pans cycle. The hot water and steam should get the oil out, the steam will raise any dent and dings too.

I did this to an SKS, cleaned the wood of all gunk and also all the steel parts I put in the silverware basket.

I may just have to give that a try!

I have also wiped it down with Acetone then heated it on low temp with heat gun to draw the oil to the surface then wipe it down again. You can keep doing that until it almost all will come out. It is quicker that way.
Yeah Mr. Guns and Gear on YouTube used a heat gun to get the decades old cosmoline out of a Type 53 stock.

its going to take an acetone or mek or another chemical soaking to loosen enough of the oil from the surface. some of the WWII preservatives were legendary for resisting removal. Gasoline and hot diesel fuel were some of the goto methods, given the lack of hardware store options.

I would find a way to soak it for a few days

Back
Top Bottom