• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Gwinnett Weapons License - Temporary License during Wait Time?

Had a thread on this last week. The wife and I applied the day after Christmas in gwinnett and both came last Saturday, almost a month to the day considering the holidays.

I think it is 90 day max.

O.C.G.A. 16-11-129 allows for the state of Georgia to have 45 days to issue your license, or provide you with a reason why your license is not being issued.

5 days to file fingerprints for checking
30 days to return findings of fingerprints to Probate court
10 days for Probate judge to issue license

It's a total of 45 days. Also interesting to note that OCGA makes no mention of "business days" as has been suggested in other discussions.

Jerry

lady at the Permits office said they processed around 180 requests on Wednesday, and it would be around a 30 day wait. Only time a temp is issued is if your within the 30 day expiration mark and you have to ask for it and the cost is an extra dollar!!! Everyone in line at the Probate Court this week was wanting a GWL.

You can get a temporary or provisional IF you are a current GWL holder whos license is going to expire within 30 days. Noobs must wait and right now they are running behind.

Not everyone who works in the various Probate Courts is aware of this...The otherwise nice "Lil' Ol' Lady" who handled my Application in Spalding County last year was CERTAIN that there was NO Provision for a "Temporary License"--I was polite but firmly insistent, and asked that she check w/the Judge--which she DID--Well, I DID GET a Temporary License--AFTER paying the EXTRA DOLLAR, LOL!--and my "Real" License showed up 19 days later!...HTH....mikey357

Back
Top Bottom