• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

GWL question

I want to throw this in. I have my GFL( had it a couple years). When the probate court runs a background check on you, your 1st offender charge should NOT show up on the level of background that they run. They basically run a background check at the level an employer would. There are several levels of background checks. The DA or LE can run one that shows every arrest you ever gotten regardless of the outcome.

My 1st Offender is nowhere to be found when running my check a couple years ago. I did have to go through a lot of hassle to get the morons at GCIC to correct my record. That took 5 years to get it removed. The final disposition & release papers CLEARLY stated I was NOT to be considered guilty or as having committed a felony. My GCIC should reflect no conviction. Now what had happened was, while on probation, I caught an assault charge that was total BS. If the plaintiff had been a white guy, it would not have been an issue(read between the lines). Anyway, I pled my own case to the judge. The DA was pushing for a felony charge. I represented myself. The judge found me "not guilty" of a felony. However, he found me guilty of simple battery, a misdemeanor. He told me I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. FWIW, I was on my fenced and gated business property.

So anyway, the misdemeanor conviction technically killed my 1st offender status. However my probation officer at the time knew the battery case was BS and did not pursue any actions against me. He even recommended to GCIC that they reverse my status. They didn't listen to him. When the judge signed my release and completion of 1st Off, he specifically instructed GCIC to correct my records. They did finally but it took 5 years of off and on calling.

Sorry for the long story, but there should be nothing on your background check that has anything to do with your 1st Off. I suggest you get a copy of the GCIC and see what is there. I will personally help you get it straight if you need me to. All that talking to the probate judge and stuff is useless. You have to go to the DAs office or Superior Court where the case was handled to get GCIC records corrected. As far as I know they are the only ones who can submit changes and it takes about 5 minutes for them to do so, and can be seen by anyone pulling your GCIC immediately afterwards. I witnessed mine done at the Oconee DAs office in Eastman, GA.

Let me know if you need some help.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom