• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Had a Remington 700 AD today.

Bear44

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
213   0
Reaction score
I have never had a Remington 700 fire unintentionally or have any problem until today.

I closed the bolt on my 338 Lapua and just as I applied the slightest touch to the trigger it fired. Much less than the 2.5lbs I had it set at. I'm sure if I had taped the bolt handle it would have fired with not contact to the trigger at all. It then would not reliably remain cocked as I closed the bolt. I discovered that the only way I could consistently get the trigger to engage and remain cocked as I closed the bolt was to put substantial forward pressure on the bolt handle as I brought the bolt down into it's locked position. The trigger was adjusted by a highly qualified gunsmith and I'll be contacting them on Monday.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, it's a Timney trigger. I've never had this problem with the dozens of stock Remington triggers I have used. Both the Walker and the X-Mark Pro.

I have never had a Remington 700 fire unintentionally or have any problem until today.

Check with Remington, sometime no info is better than a half truth!!!

I closed the bolt on my 338 Lapua and just as I applied the slightest touch to the trigger it fired. Much less than the 2.5lbs I had it set at. It then would not reliably remain cocked as I closed the bolt. I discovered that the only way I could consistently get the trigger to engage and remain cocked as I closed the bolt was to put substantial forward pressure on the bolt handle as I brought the bolt down into it's locked position. The trigger was adjusted by a highly qualified gunsmith and I'll be contacting them on Monday.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, it's a Timney trigger. I've never had this problem with the dozens of stock Remington triggers I have used. Both the Walker and the X-Mark Pro.

really, Matt? Did you read the OP, or just spout off this knee-jerk reaction?
He has a precision long range rifle whose trigger is from a top-tier company and installed and set up by a highly skilled gunsmith. So who here was NEGLIGENT ?

I closed the bolt on my 338 Lapua and just as I applied the slightest touch to the trigger it fired. Much less than the 2.5lbs I had it set at. I'm sure if I had taped the bolt handle it would have fired with not contact to the trigger at all. It then would not reliably remain cocked as I closed the bolt. I discovered that the only way I could consistently get the trigger to engage and remain cocked as I closed the bolt was to put substantial forward pressure on the bolt handle as I brought the bolt down into it's locked position. The trigger was adjusted by a highly qualified gunsmith and I'll be contacting them on Monday.

New gun/trigger or has it been in this configuration awhile? That would def. make the neck hairs stand up!

There are in fact Accidental Discharges, and there are Negligent Discharges.

An example of an Accidental Discharge would be an issue Beretta had several decades ago with the model 92. Under heavy use, a failure could occur called partial frame separation. If you had a 92 that had this failure, you would use the decocking safety, and the gun would discharge when the hammer fell.

Negligent Discharge example would be a guy reholsters his Glock with his finger on the trigger, the top of the holster pushes against his finger, finger pulls the trigger, Glock discharges.

An AD is usually caused by malfunctioning equipment. An ND is usually caused by HUA.

Back
Top Bottom