• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Hampton, GA bus incident has me asking some questions....

jsquared

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
43   0
Reaction score
Details of the incident:

http://www.ajc.com/news/clayton/police-clayton-sniper-may-1439414.html

But investigators did trace the gun, purchased in 1985, to its original owner. Robinson said they haven't been able to talk to him yet but, considering his age, do not believe he is the sniper even though the weapon was never reported stolen.

This whole situation has me pondering a few things:

1) 1985 is a long time ago, 27 years to be exact. The FFL dealer who sold the weapon, assuming they are still in business, would only have to keep records for 20 years on each sale (although they could keep them for longer). If the FFL did go out of business they would surrender their bound book to the ATF, who would probably log the data into a database for future reference. I'm guessing this is what happened, and how the ATF was able to track down the original owner of a rifle sold 27 years ago. Going to every dealer in GA who sold a Marlin .22 in 1985, searching their records from 27 years ago looking for a serial number, getting lucky that the dealer kept their records past 20 years, and finding the original owner probably would have taken more than 4 days unless they got really really lucky.

* This is taking for granted that laws regarding 4473's havent changed since 1985. Im certain they have, I just dont know what those changes are. Perhaps a long time dealer could chime in.

2) A rifle sold originally in 1985 may have passed through a dozen or more people before ending up with the current owner. Even if each sale incurred a bill of sale, what are the chances that each previous owner maintained that bill of sale for the last 1-27 years? Probably pretty slim. I dont think this is a valid pro or con argument for bills of sale in firearms purchases between private sellers since the time frame is unrealistic. In that same regard though, maybe the original buyer kept the rifle for 26 years and just sold it a few months ago. If they could provide details of the buyer to the ATF or the police it would probably help greatly in the case. Again I think both examples I mention are unrealistic and that the actual history of the rifle is somewhere between, but it does make me think.

Thoughts?

It also has me pondering what makes a dude pointing a .22 at a school bus a "sniper", did he have on a ghillie suit or leave behind his DOPE book along with the bus listings? Did the .22 have target turrets? Gotta love the media.

It also has me pondering what makes a dude pointing a .22 at a school bus a "sniper", did he have on a ghillie suit or leave behind his DOPE book along with the bus listings? Did the .22 have target turrets? Gotta love the media.

yeah I found that odd. The media makes it sound like he had a 50BMG. Granted a 22lr can still kill you. Because the rifle had a scope they were able to call it a sniper case.

I do find it rather odd that they were able to track the owner from that long ago. Granted a BOS trail would be hopeless. Nobody hardly keeps paperwork like that very long.

The only realistic way I can think of for the ATF to have found the owner so quickly, again unless they have crazy good luck, is that the FFL dealer who sold the rifle originally went out of business and sent his bound book to the ATF, and the records within were cataloged for easy searching (either electronically or in a big filing cabinet).

Maybe back then the 4473 included the serial number of the weapon? Even then, the NICS check nowadays only gets stored for 72 hours allegedly. I cant imagine a background check even existed for a rifle purchase in GA in 1985, let alone one done by computer.

Now this is all assuming it was originally bought in GA, could have been in NY or CA where records are kept differently at the state level. Then again (again), it was 1985!

It must have been Marty McFly. Did the cops say he was wearing a life preserver?

The only realistic way I can think of for the ATF to have found the owner so quickly, again unless they have crazy good luck, is that the FFL dealer who sold the rifle originally went out of business and sent his bound book to the ATF, and the records within were cataloged for easy searching (either electronically or in a big filing cabinet).

Maybe back then the 4473 included the serial number of the weapon?

I thought all of the 4473s did?

Back
Top Bottom