• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Hampton, GA bus incident has me asking some questions....

The only realistic way I can think of for the ATF to have found the owner so quickly, again unless they have crazy good luck, is that the FFL dealer who sold the rifle originally went out of business and sent his bound book to the ATF, and the records within were cataloged for easy searching (either electronically or in a big filing cabinet).

Maybe back then the 4473 included the serial number of the weapon? Even then, the NICS check nowadays only gets stored for 72 hours allegedly. I cant imagine a background check even existed for a rifle purchase in GA in 1985, let alone one done by computer.
Now this is all assuming it was originally bought in GA, could have been in NY or CA where records are kept differently at the state level. Then again (again), it was 1985!

It must have been Marty McFly. Did the cops say he was wearing a life preserver?

business are required to keep the paper copies forever at least that was what i was told by my job back when we used sell guns but idk for sure

business are required to keep the paper copies forever at least that was what i was told by my job back when we used sell guns but idk for sure

20 years if they are the seller, 5 years if they only do the transfer. Who knows what the rules were back then though, could have been forever.

Back
Top Bottom