• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Harley Davidson— NEED HELP.

Get a meter or test light and test for power at the starter button
Ok both sides of the button

Make sure you got power going to the button
If not then track that wire back and test it at every connection back to the battery

If you got power coming to the button and power out when you mash it
Then track that wire to the starter relay and starter and check for power at every connection

I’m not sure which side of the button the neutral switch is on but you’ll find it when you track the wire

To test the starter itself
Just use jumper cables from the battery to the starter motor itself

Doing that will bypass all the other wiring , switches and relays and let you know if the starter itself is working

And like the other poster mentioned
Hold down the starter button and whack the starter motor with a hammer
Sometimes that fixes it

I ain't no Biker, so take this with a grain of salt if you need too. Get that battery checked. Just cause it has voltage, don't mean it has amperage, new battery or not. Remember if you wire 8 AAA batterys together, the mulitmeter is gonna show 12 volts, but of course not enough amps to crank anything. Same theory, your battery may show voltage, and not have amperage.

Also...if you tried to crank it a lot with the old battery, at low voltage, you may have burned the contacts inside the solenoid. Jumping the solenoid as a test with show good or bad there.

Okay, update:

I got the bike running.

NOT SURE HOW THE H*** HOW!!
I was testing the starter wires with a multimeter and trying to locate the issue. I put one contact on the starter wire located on the starter and one on the negative side of the battery.
Boom.
It cranks up.

What just happened?

I did smack the starter a few times earlier while trying to start it but that didn’t do anything.
It’s gotta be electrical. Something with the relay or starter button.

Seriously, as people have said, get a meter, check power to button, button to relay, relay to starter. It's about as simple as it gets.

Seriously, as people have said, get a meter, check power to button, button to relay, relay to starter. It's about as simple as it gets.

I got the bike started (randomly). Now, everything works. Starter button now works, bike cranks up perfectly.
I’ll go back and check the starter relay and button once more to see if there is a loose connection.

Back
Top Bottom