• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Has anyone been to Hogleg Smith?

hops2899

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
117   0
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had been to Hogleg Smith in the last four months. If so, what did you think? How was your experience? Was the work done well and in a timely manner?

i have never taken anything to him, but have owned and played with a few things hes been ahold of. i thought he did great work, especially with lever guns. have heard hes reasonable on price, but like all gunsmiths they take their time.

never understood that, i tought my self how to do everything mechanically, so i often what takes people so long to do something when it only takes me 20mins to 1 1/2 hrs. anyways thats another rant.

i say go check him out, all ways positive feedback from people i know have went there

He is in Gainesville. I have not had the pleasure of using him, but have heard nothing but praise for his work. As I understand it he does some of the finest single action revolvers out there.

Sounds like I need to take my Marlin 1894 to him...Not sure if it would be worth it...
Where is he located?

He is Gainesville.

Always hear good things about him from some of the oldtimers. He usually has a backlog of work, so I would call and see what kind of time frame you are looking at, depending on how fast you want the work done.

I also had heard of great things he had done. He may be great with lever guns and single action pistols, but I took a repro. 1874 Sharps to him with POI issues, and I still can't hit the broad side of a barn with it ( unless I'm swingin' it ) Rifle shot like a dream with original sights. Forgot what he charged me, but I got ZERO satisfaction.

I also had heard of great things he had done. He may be great with lever guns and single action pistols, but I took a repro. 1874 Sharps to him with POI issues, and I still can't hit the broad side of a barn with it ( unless I'm swingin' it ) Rifle shot like a dream with original sights. Forgot what he charged me, but I got ZERO satisfaction.

Did you take it back to him to fix the issue?

Back
Top Bottom