• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

having a loaded revolver in my truck at 20 years old

For the love of all things holy please secure it in your vehicle with SOMETHING. Something that the average smash and grab won't get.

It is so easy for thieves to bust out one of your windows and jimmy the lock on your glovebox.

Can you tell I'm not a proponent of leaving firearms unattended in vehicles?

The OP is a person above age 18, not yet 21, and therefore he is ineligible for a GWCL.
That means while he doesn't need a carry license to carry in his vehicle, he would need one to carry in someone else's vehicle that he's just borrowing or riding in.
Also, a number of locations may be off-limits to him because of his lack of a GWCL, depending on where he drives and parks that vehicle.

If you're traveling with a loaded gun in your car or truck, you should have a carry license to maximize your protection under Georgia's carry laws.
But if you watch where you're going and careful about what kinds of buildings and facilities you visit, you have some measure of carry freedom for vehicle carry even without a GWCL.

The OP is a person above age 18, not yet 21, and therefore he is ineligible for a GWCL.
That means while he doesn't need a carry license to carry in his vehicle, he would need one to carry in someone else's vehicle that he's just borrowing or riding in.
Also, a number of locations may be off-limits to him because of his lack of a GWCL, depending on where he drives and parks that vehicle.

If you're traveling with a loaded gun in your car or truck, you should have a carry license to maximize your protection under Georgia's carry laws.
But if you watch where you're going and careful about what kinds of buildings and facilities you visit, you have some measure of carry freedom for vehicle carry even without a GWCL.
Of course what the law says, and what the LEO practices are completely different. He can still arrest you, you post bail, just to find out the DA dropped the charges for lack of breaking a law. My advice to OP. Carry the OCGA copy around with you to show LEO if they ask.

Do NOT have any stickers referencing guns on your car. It will cause them to inquire about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAUCIBNADC4

I am not sure why he was patted down for speeding and an out plate light but whatever. He was pretty obviously speeding in the beginning and that was the reason for the stop not the sticker, but still it brought extra scrutiny on him.
Officer safety, they gave him the ole terry pat.

Then I believe there is a grey area too, if he has to move the gun from his car to another location. Say maybe he wants to take it inside a friends house or something (not his residence). Since it is not in his car or his home he may be open to trouble. Let's say you holster it upon leaving your car to go to the range and you walk across the parking lot to the front door of the business. Illegal? Just saying.

Officer safety, they gave him the ole terry pat.

So every speeder gets the pat down for "officer safety" or was it because of his sticker? A sticker is RAS that he is committing or about to commit a crime? ( I believe your post is sarcasm, but I will still ask the obvious)

If you carry a handgun in your car, make it hard to find, and harder for a thief to steal, while easy for you to access.
I know you aren't a kid, but make sure pulling it is your absolute very last resort.
It's hard, but don't let anyone bait you into a road rage incident.
Remember, you have to conduct yourself at a higher standard than normal, when you are armed.

It used to be you could hide a gun in a diaper bag, or a cracker box in plain site. Not anymore.

Back
Top Bottom