• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Head spacing options

Leatherneck

Default rank <1000 posts Lifetime Supporter
Frontiersman
56   0
Reaction score
I am building an AR-15 and am preparing to set .the head spacing. At this point the tools are anywhere from 60 to $200. Are there any other options for setting the head spacing besides having to spend that kind of money on tools I may only use once or twice. Thanks for your suggestions.

Buy a pre matched bolt and barrel. They are available from the target shooter suppliers, like White Oak..

I am building an AR-15 and am preparing to set .the head spacing. At this point the tools are anywhere from 60 to $200. Are there any other options for setting the head spacing besides having to spend that kind of money on tools I may only use once or twice. Thanks for your suggestions.

At $200, I assume you already have a lathe and good precision micrometers, and such. 200 bucks will barely buy the extension wrench, HS gauges and a good quality barrel clamp.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/3...MI0JTRp8Xf1QIVyYWzCh0A1AIyEAQYAyABEgL1zPD_BwE

• Headspace standards are set by SAAMI (Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers Institute) specifications.
  • Headspace is measured from the bolt face to one of four locations, depending on the cartridge used. The measurement is taken from the rim of rimmed cases like the .30-30, or the shoulder of a necked case like the .30-06, the case mouth of a straight or tapered case like the 30 Carbine, or the belt of a belted case like the .300 Winchester Magnum.

• Headspace gauges are available in three different lengths, listed below, from shortest to longest:
  • Go Gauge: Go Gauges match the minimum chamber dimensions allowable under SAAMI specifications. In order to accept SAAMI maximum ammunition, the rifle must be able to chamber the correct go gauge.
  • No-Go Gauge: No-Go Gauges are sized to the maximum recommended headspace dimensions. If a rifle will chamber the no-go gauge, it may still be within specifications, or this could indicate excessive headspace. To determine if the rifle is safe to shoot, the chamber must be checked with the field gauge.
  • Field Gauge: Field Gauges correspond to the maximum safe headspace dimension. If a rifle will chamber a field gauge, it should be inspected and repaired by a competent gunsmith prior to use.
I am not a gunsmith. I would think that new milspec parts from different manufacturers should fall within acceptable range. I'd bet thousands are assembled and test fired without measuring this.

Why are you "setting the headspace" Are you installing a barrel extension on a barrel blank and cutting the chamber?
No. I bought the barrel at PSA and am installing it on an Anderson upper. I have the gas tube and block, free float barrel nut, ready to go as well.
I thought I needed to check the head space once the upper receiver is assembled. Is that true?

No. I bought the barrel at PSA and am installing it on an Anderson upper. I have the gas tube and block, free float barrel nut, ready to go as well.
I thought I needed to check the head space once the barrel is assembled. Is that true?

if you have quality mil spec parts there should be no reason to do so.

I never have but im no #operator

I thought I needed to check the head space once the upper receiver is assembled. Is that true?

You're not actually setting it then, just checking it
I checked mine to be safe but someone on here may check it for you?

Back
Top Bottom