• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Heat treat without a forge?

And used motor oil if you have any on hand-

I've used burnt motor oil mixed with water, kerosene, hydraulic fluid, WD-40 because of water content, water with dawn dish detergent etc, lol in an industrial setting. I was trying to think of something he may have at home for quenching.

If I am correct in thinking of what he has to be hardened, I would just contact Nonliberal or another machine shop that has a heat treat oven. It should be relatively cheap to heat treat a part and quench it.

I've used burnt motor oil mixed with water, kerosene, hydraulic fluid, WD-40 because of water content, water with dawn dish detergent etc, lol in an industrial setting. I was trying to think of something he may have at home for quenching.

If I am correct in thinking of what he has to be hardened, I would just contact Nonliberal or another machine shop that has a heat treat oven. It should be relatively cheap to heat treat a part and quench it.

This is my 2nd knife ever and honestly not nice enough to worry that much about it, I'm doing this one more so to work on shaping a decent handle.

This is my 2nd knife ever and honestly not nice enough to worry that much about it, I'm doing this one more so to work on shaping a decent handle.

Gotcha, in that case, I'd make a small brick structure, obtain desired temp, insert blade, according to metal alloy leave for X amount of time, then quench. I feel sure there is something online that would give you a guideline for the optimum temp according to the metal alloy to do what you are wanting to do.

Over the years, I have made several work knives from old files.

Back
Top Bottom