• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Heat treat without a forge?

Steel suplier or scrap yard.
You get credit for trying. I applaud you for the effort and hope you stay with it.

It's something I'd like to get better at.

I'll have to hunt down a steel supplier.

One thing that really throws me is how a blade is "profiled", where the knife begins to get much thinner about 1/4 from the top, is that able to be done by hand?

ahh, well it was decent practice just cutting it out even if it fails.

Any sources for decent metal to work with?

I used old worn bastard files. I'd use a bench grinder or a 4" hand grinder to rough shape it. I'd use a die grinder with a burring bit tool to obtain the desired finished shape that I wanted. I would pre-assemble the handle to the blade temporarily to drill my holes for the brass pins. I would finish the handle to my liking and then attach the handle to the blade with brass pins. Then I would use a large buffing wheel on a bench grinder with jewelers clay to polish it.
No heat treating needed, It will last a long time.

Also, the side edge of the file makes for a nice top of the blade because of the ridges.

One thing that really throws me is how a blade is "profiled", where the knife begins to get much thinner about 1/4 from the top, is that able to be done by hand?

^--regarding this, they also make what they call knife edged files that are used for correcting galled threads on bolting etc. They already have the angle that you need.

Last edited:

I'll have to hunt down a steel supplier.

I watched a YouTube video that shows how to make a jig for profiling the blade. It works a lot like the lanksy sharpening setup.

Back
Top Bottom