• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help buying my son his first 12 gauge

MossHammer

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
0   0
Reaction score
Good morning men.
Please weigh in if you feel led. My son has gotten into hunting via a close friend and his family. It's time to buy him a 12 gauge for Christmas. He's very responsible and has grown up around pistols and rifles (my jam).

I'm looking for a solid performer all around use. So bird shot to slugs. Ideally, I'd spend less than $750 (open to used, off book. I'm on the GA coast).

Thanks for your wisdom.

You have an action preference? Pump, semi auto, over under? Synthetic or wood?

For pumps, it’s hard to beat a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870. Either will do everything needed, last forever, and save you some money.

For autos, Benelli or Beretta would be my preference but Mossberg and Remington also make good ones for a little less money. I’ve also heard a lot of good about CZs and would like to try one.

Over-under, a used Browning may be found in your range. Otherwise, I’d be shopping new CZs for sure.

For overall utility, I’d lean towards a pump. Get one that shoots 3.5” shells and you even have turkey covered.

Either the Remington 87o or the Mossberg would be a perfect first shotgun. Im partial to Remington. There are far less parts when sripped down for a post duck hunt cleaning. I prefer the mag and not the super mag. The three and half lengthens the slide more. It also kicks like a mule and doesnt perform well. Thats imo. The Remington will likely be a few extra dollars but it’s worth it. Remember, he will likely keep the gun forever and it will mean something to him. Mine does

Back
Top Bottom