• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Help deciding on a new carry gun

I would skip half of those for a Kahr PM9, PM40, PM45, or K9 Elite
The Solo is notoriously finicky, I wouldnt bother with that one at all for a carry piece.

The ones listed are ones I already have, I am not personally a fan of kahr, I have never liked the feel of them. My solo runs fine after I broke it in.

I would have to say go to a range that offers these as rental and shoot them. Here is what I found when I went:

The Dont's:

Beretta Nano - Doesn't feel right and didn't shoot great
Sheild 9mm - Feels great. Fits great. Not too heavy but shoots inaccurate after 10 yards so I sold it here on ODT. Great warranty by Smith and Wesson though. I prefer my M&P9c better
Walther PPS - Nice size. Grip is hard and not comfortable (Than can be fixed with a grip cover), backstrap piece disabler was a problem for me. Shot okay.
Glock 26 - Bulky and heavy. Shoots better than okay. But you can't break it so that's a plus

The Do's
Kahr K9 or MK40 - All steel gun so has weight but not too much. Shoots great. Hits what you aim at at 7, 10, 15 yards. Looks nice too
XDS - Lightweight but feels sturdy. Shoots great.
P930 - Feels great. Shoots better than good. Lightweight in 9mm. Safety.

So, that's my $.02. Adventure Outdoors in Smyna has pretty much all of the guns you're looking at in the Remington Range where you can shoot and see what it's like. It's $10 bucks per gun rental though so be forewarned.

my $.02

"Walther PPS - Nice size. Grip is hard and not comfortable (Than can be fixed with a grip cover), backstrap piece disabler was a problem for me. Shot okay."

What was wrong with the backstrap on yours, I haven't yet had an issue out of mine?

The ones listed are ones I already have, I am not personally a fan of kahr, I have never liked the feel of them. My solo runs fine after I broke it in.

My bad. I read that as INclude, not exclude.

The Solo is a pretty piece. Just way too many issues for me.
The K9 Elite is the finest Kahr pistol I have handled and shot. Sweetest trigger of any Kahr I have put my hands on as well. I wouldnt trade mine for any 3 Glocks or XDs. The PM9 is my favorite subcompact pistol, super light, easy to conceal under minimal clothing, accurate, and reliable. It isnt the worlds most comfortable gun to shoot given its small size. But, as a subcompact personal defense weapon I think it ranks among the best....and perhaps is the best....which I admit is somewhat subjective. I know I would trust it before any Solo if my life depended on it....but the Solo is prettier. :)
Obviously your comfort is an important element when choosing a weapon. I get that.

My bad. I read that as INclude, not exclude.

The Solo is a pretty piece. Just way too many issues for me.
The K9 Elite is the finest Kahr pistol I have handled and shot. Sweetest trigger of any Kahr I have put my hands on as well. I wouldnt trade mine for any 3 Glocks or XDs. The PM9 is my favorite subcompact pistol, super light, easy to conceal under minimal clothing, accurate, and reliable. It isnt the worlds most comfortable gun to shoot given its small size. But, as a subcompact personal defense weapon I think it ranks among the best....and perhaps is the best....which I admit is somewhat subjective. I know I would trust it before any Solo if my life depended on it....but the Solo is prettier. :)
Obviously your comfort is an important element when choosing a weapon. I get that.

I have never had an issue of ftf with my solo, my only issue is the slide bite if your not really concentrating on hand placement.

Back
Top Bottom