• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help Identifying Track

ucgz

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
31   0
Reaction score
I am currently up at our lake cabin that is kind of out in the middle of nowhere in Lake Keowee South Carolina. It rained the night before last and when I went out to the water's edge I saw a track that, to my knowledge, was not there the day before. I planted my foot next to the track to give perspective (I have size 14 feet). As you can probably tell from the picture, the bank slants down to the left. Anybody have any idea what animal made this track? The animal's claw on its big toe (farthest right) seems kind of strange to me. I don't know if it is like that simply to keep it from sliding down the hill or what.
track.jpg

Last edited:
Looks identical to a human track that has been there for a few days to this untrained eye. Any other ones nearby?

Yea, I'm stuck on this one, but I'm not that well versed in track identifications. What I CAN tell you is that there aren't all that many animals in that area that would have that large of a paw. It doesn't look like Mountain Lion or bobcat. It's definitely not a hog. It does look more human than anything actually. Is it possible that whatever was walking may have slid when they stepped a little bit? I can't tell from the pic. It could be a bear's back paw, but I'm still hesitant to say that.

Looks identical to a human track that has been there for a few days to this untrained eye. Any other ones nearby?

Yes but nothing clear. And I doubt that it is a human track because this place is out in the middle of nowhere and it is difficult to get to. Also, the separation of the right toe (and the apparent claw) from the next toe seems inconsistent with a human foot or a bear paw but I know next to nothing about recognizing tracks.

Back
Top Bottom