• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help (me) a computer stupid guy

Got a new laptop a couple months ago. The anti-virus has now expired. Its prompting me to renew Mcafee. Will that suffice or should I go with Norton like my dad does?
Avast is a free solution that works well. Main downside is that it will bother you with notifications/ads for their paid version. Here's a fairly decent review of it if you are interested:

https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2471522,00.asp

Free antivirus's in my opinion don't offer anything windows defender doesn't already offer. Malwarebytes has a good program, Eset Nod32, Kaspersky, and Emsisoft are all good options.

Free antivirus's in my opinion don't offer anything windows defender doesn't already offer. Malwarebytes has a good program, Eset Nod32, Kaspersky, and Emsisoft are all good options.
Except that Windows Defender has consistently performed worse than other free antivirus programs. I linked an article on the first page if you are interested.

Regardless of what the media/government may lead you to believe, Kaspersky is one of, if not at, the top of all AV software lists consistently still. It has found, quarantined and removed things that were never seen by Norton, Trend Micro, Bitdefender, etc. on my server years back. Since then I have stuck with them and never had a moments worry. I would definitely have them in consideration.

Use the free stuff. I use Panda and Malwarebytes. McAfee will slow your system down and I have never liked Norton.
Keep in mind any of the free programs will eventually use popups to try to get you to buy the "pro" version. Just close and ignore them.

Back
Top Bottom