• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help (me) a computer stupid guy

Macs have a couple of advantages, in that they aren't as popular so they tend not to be high-priority targets. They also don't depends on 3rd party software as much for OS level stuff like drivers, so they can be written to a higher standard. And since apple has more control over the whole ecosystem, patches can be more timely.

That being said, Macs have has some real doozies when it comes to security holes. I loved the one last year where you could modify any account on the machine just by accessing the tool as 'root' but leaving the password blank.

Definitely.

But those problems are rare.

When someone asks me about viruses on my Mac I say “they are possible, but when’s the last time you saw a virus on an iPad?”

Different OS, but same design philosophy.

I wish product liability applied to software. The way Microsoft does stuff would open them up to such incredible liability. It’s the equivalent of making a car which explodes the second it leaves the dealer lot.

Best thing about a Mac=it just works. I don’t get a kick out of ****ing with any registry stuff or messing with Bios. I like stuff that works and takes as little friction to use as possible. Love my iMac!

(I have friends who make fun of me for being such a Mac fanboy now. I spent a grand on this thing. It still works fine. Most of those guys have been through at least two PCs since I got my Mac, and I fully expect this thing to keep chugging until they are up to 5 or so.... who spend more money?)

There's definitely something to be said about Macs. If you don't want to mess with a computer but just want it to work without a lot of fuss, a Mac is the way to go. the only thing that keeps me out of the Mac camp is the cost. Even used refurbs are insanely expensive compared to PCs.

Back
Top Bottom