• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Help me decide...Ruger American .308 Win or 6.5 Creedmoor? GOT ONE!!! .308

.308 or 6.5?

• 6.5 creedmore

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • .308 win

Votes: 29 61.7%
  • Tacos

Votes: 7 14.9%

• Total voters
I had a pair of 308 predators and sold one because I didn't need two. The other one was good on targets out to 550 yards with a cheap scope. It has some recoil as most light 308's do (less than 30-06). Ammo is everywhere in what ever type you want it for. In GA, it is more than adequate for about anything you will find or hunt. One word of advice is to make sure to mark the new gun so you don't drop a 243 into it and have an incident when you pull the trigger.

I had a pair of 308 predators and sold one because I didn't need two. The other one was good on targets out to 550 yards with a cheap scope. It has some recoil as most light 308's do (less than 30-06). Ammo is everywhere in what ever type you want it for. In GA, it is more than adequate for about anything you will find or hunt. One word of advice is to make sure to mark the new gun so you don't drop a 243 into it and have an incident when you pull the trigger.
Don't think I will have a problem identifying them, my granddaughter's wears a muddy girl camo stock and the one I'm planning on buying has the moss green one.

CA6752F4-E102-440A-AC0F-034CB4558912.jpeg

Not that anyone is hunting at that distance but that’s not true.

And at 800 and beyond, energy for hunting becomes an issue with the lighter 6.5 bullet.

You can down load a 308, you can't up load a 6.5.

Because the 6.5 has no real ballistic advantage until the higher BC of the 6.5 bullets comes in to play. That happens at around 800 yards.
Then why does it take less elevation for my 6.5 than my .308 at distances less than 800 yards of it has no real ballistic advantage? Less drop and less wind drift seem like characteristics of a ballistic advantage.

The bc of a bullet is less of a factor than the velocity of a bullet at distances of 500 yards and in.

By the way, PoppaMike, the correct name of that 6.5 round you're considering is the CreedMOOR. "Moor" not "more." It's a reference to the NRA's official shooting range on Long Island, then the outskirts of New York City, in the 1870s through around 1905, I think, when it was closed to the public and later closed permanently.
"Moor" is a term for a field or grassy hills.

Back
Top Bottom