• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help on a .22 rifle choice, Ruger or Marlin

furious

Default rank <4500 posts Lifetime Supporter
Don't let yesterday use up too much of today.
261   0
Reaction score
I'm torn between two an I'd like you guys to help out with any input or opinions.

An all weather (stainless?) Marlin model 60 cost exactly the same as a entry level 10/22. My question is which one is the better gun if I dont plan to modify it at all? Are there any decent mags for the Ruger that are 15rd or more? Does the 10/22 come with a scope rail or would I have to buy one to add on it?

View attachment 87362 ruger-10221.jpg

You will have to add a scope rail on the ruger. I like both guns equally well. I grew up with a model 60 and currently own a 10/22. The ruger gives you the option of faster reloads and higher capacity with magazines. The Marlin does have some plastic internals that (withouti proper care) can be tempermental. Without modification I believe you will be happy with either you choose.

Last edited:
Out of the box, the model 60 will shoot circles around the 10/22. Rugers can be made amazingly accurate and are much more customizable than the Marlin, but you said you weren't going to modify it, so definitely go Marlin.

Out of the box, the model 60 will shoot circles around the 10/22. Rugers can be made amazingly accurate and are much more customizable than the Marlin, but you said you weren't going to modify it, so definitely go Marlin.

This ^^^^^. You just can't beat a micro-groove barrel.

Nick T

The Ruger comes from the factory with a scope mount that you have to install if you want to use a scope with it. There are plenty of aftermarket mags, though I personally like the 25rd Steel Lip mags, the Ruger mags are getting go reviews as well, stay clear of the Hot lip mags though, hard use will wear them down. As far as accuracy, depends on the rifle, ammo, and shooter, I have no problem hitting clay targets on the berm at 100 meters with mine with iron sights, but then again I use it for a plinking rifle. Though some of the current production rifle, while having a rougher finish have proven to be surprising more accurate then older production rifles.

Back
Top Bottom