• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Help on a .22 rifle choice, Ruger or Marlin

Ive had both and still have a model 60. without mods the Marlin is just more accurate, a tack driver. Was very disappointed in the Ruger out of the box! Of course your gonna the same opinions as if you had asked which is better, Ford or Chevy. Get the one you like and feels good and have fun.

Last edited:
I've got both...older 99M1 (dressed up model 60) and a newer 10-22. Both are fun guns to shoot. Both are accurate enough for my purposes. Both get a little grumpy if you don't keep them cleaned and lubed.

The one big advantage of the 10-22 is the aftermarket parts.

I think both guns have millions and millions sold over the years, so really, you can't go wrong with either one.

Last edited:
Have both........The new rugers, some have composite trigger groups and they are the most customized .22s that I know. The mod 60 marlin is over 45 years old, bought in 1965, and I would put it up againist any 10/.22 out of the box, with iron sights. It really is just a matter of preference though, I like them both. Thought about selling my 60, but she holds 20 rnds in the mag and 1 in chamber.

Ruger Ruger Ruger. Just on the shear amount of aftermarket parts. You can go from the ranch to tacticool in about 5 minutes. Not to mention the just plain old goodness of the 10/22. Of course I'm biased and I have never shot a marlin. Good luck choosing.

I would go with the Ruger. Not only are there more aftermarket accessories for it, the Ruger is easier to re-assemble if you take it apart for thorough cleaning because of the way the recoil spring assembly is designed. The Marlin is a bit tricky to get the spring back in place.

Yeah I'm not sure what the barrel bands are made of now, but they break easily if you're not careful tightening the screw. Aftermarket steel barrel bands are available from Midway.

i got a marlin model 795. cost me a hundred bucks new after a 25 dollar rebate. very happy with it. the ruger you can do more to it, but they are to expensive for what they are if ya ask me

my marlin is one of the best shooting .22s ive fired. so if ya just want a good shooting plinkster, get a marlin

Back
Top Bottom