• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Henry Homesteader

I have had a Marlin 336 for years, just because everyone should have a 30/30 lever gun. But I did recently pick up both a Henry Big Boy in .44 Mag, and a Rossi 92 Stainless .357 Mag version. Both are very cool rifles, but the Henry is at another level from both the Rossi and the Marlin.

Gorgeous design, immaculate fit and finish, a real piece of craftsmanship. And a hot .44 Mag out of a 20in barrel, packs over 1,800ft/lbs of punch, which isn't all that far behind a 30-30 round... The difference is, the Henry does 10+1 capacity versus 5+1 on the 30-30... Plus I have a 6" Ported .44 mag revolver I can carry as a sidearm to go with the Henry, as well as a Ruger GP100 to tag along with the .357 Rossi, and the Rossi is also 10+1... A .357 Mag pushes over 1,000ft/lbs from a 20in barrel, making both calibers far more effective than their handgun ballistics would indicate.

I paid $800 something for the Henry, brand new back in August at GA Gun Store in Gainesville, and I picked up the Rossi from DG&P a few months later, I think for $569? So the prices are perfectly reasonable, if you are buying retail instead of the ODT 50% over MSRP markup. haha

Looking at a Youtube video from Iraqvet8888 on the new Homesteader from Henry. Looks intriguing. I've gotten into the blahs about most new guns. Seems like gun companies are throwing stuff out just to see if anything sticks. So many new tactical lever guns, Bleh! New cartridges that pretty much do the same thing as previously made rounds. Bleh! Since I'm not into tactical stuff so much, the look of the Homesteader would be a possible purchase IF! It were chambered in something cooler. Maybe a new .44 mag carbine? 357 Maximum? 45 Win Mag? Oh the possibilities. 9mm would be a fun plinker especially with a can though. Hopefully the price will come down to below Suggest retail. Not paying $1100+ for a >$900 retail gun.
What caliber should Henry bring out next?
I like the looks of the new Henry Homesteader but the price is a different story. It got mixed reviews among the channels I watch. But as you sorta pointed out, everything ain't gotta be tactical. I liked the old Marlin Camp 9 which is probably why I dig the new Henry. But yeah, tactical lever guns is a hard no for me. I would love a carbine length lever gin in 357 but not at Henry prices. More like Rossi prices and that's still kinda high.

I like the looks of the new Henry Homesteader but the price is a different story. It got mixed reviews among the channels I watch. But as you sorta pointed out, everything ain't gotta be tactical. I liked the old Marlin Camp 9 which is probably why I dig the new Henry. But yeah, tactical lever guns is a hard no for me. I would love a carbine length lever gin in 357 but not at Henry prices. More like Rossi prices and that's still kinda high.

Do you really think that in today's world, a Rossi 92 in Stainless for under $600 is too high? What do you feel a .357 of .44 mag lever gun should cost in 2023?

Do you really think that in today's world, a Rossi 92 in Stainless for under $600 is too high? What do you feel a .357 of .44 mag lever gun should cost in 2023?
In all honesty I ain't looked for one lately. But last time I checked GunBroker they were around $800ish and if they were any lower the seller wanted $100.00 to ship it.
Lately ALL lever guns are higher. Ten years ago a Marlin or Glenfield 30/30 was a $300.00 rifle. But I guess it's like revolvers and newspapers. The fewer folks that buy/use them the more they charge the ones who do.

In all honesty I ain't looked for one lately. But last time I checked GunBroker they were around $800ish and if they were any lower the seller wanted $100.00 to ship it.
Lately ALL lever guns are higher. Ten years ago a Marlin or Glenfield 30/30 was a $300.00 rifle. But I guess it's like revolvers and newspapers. The fewer folks that buy/use them the more they charge the ones who do.

I wouldn't look online, or here, honestly. DG&P is a site sponsor and his prices are where they should be, as is the LGS in Gainesville.

They have some Rossi 92's in stock:

I wouldn't look online, or here, honestly. DG&P is a site sponsor and his prices are where they should be, as is the LGS in Gainesville.

They have some Rossi 92's in stock:
Are they still in production? Seems like I read something about them being discontinued. But then again that may have been Rossi revolvers.

Back
Top Bottom