• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Henry Homesteader

Do you really think that in today's world, a Rossi 92 in Stainless for under $600 is too high? What do you feel a .357 of .44 mag lever gun should cost in 2023?
Haven't these companies been making these guns for a few decades? Normal companies have cost driven down over time, not up. You can only blame so much on inflation.

Yeah, I miss those days. Would have never guessed a Marlin would cost as much as they do now. The very first firearm I purchased with my own money was a used 30/30 Marlin for $175.
Inherited a 700 BDL from my late stepfather in .270 back during Covid. Not a big Remington fan and certainly not looking to add .270 to the ammo list. Shortly after that a member from Eastman traded me a nearly new Marlin 336 in 30/30. Well a lever gun WAS on my list. First time I tried to shoot it I had a dead trigger. So I got it fixed and got rid of it. I was told that the issue was dust/lint along with the wrong type of spray lube . But once I learned what all was involved in working on one I was done. I certainly ain't a gunsmith. I liked the wood and steel and overall look of it but not THAT much.

Inherited a 700 BDL from my late stepfather in .270 back during Covid. Not a big Remington fan and certainly not looking to add .270 to the ammo list. Shortly after that a member from Eastman traded me a nearly new Marlin 336 in 30/30. Well a lever gun WAS on my list. First time I tried to shoot it I had a dead trigger. So I got it fixed and got rid of it. I was told that the issue was dust/lint along with the wrong type of spray lube . But once I learned what all was involved in working on one I was done. I certainly ain't a gunsmith. I liked the wood and steel and overall look of it but not THAT much.
The one I bought was back in the late 80's they were (for the most part) flawless back then... VERY dependable. But at some point they went WAY down hill.

The one I bought was back in the late 80's they were (for the most part) flawless back then... VERY dependable. But at some point they went WAY down hill.
Yeah like after Remington took over. But I heard Ruger owns them now so maybe things are looking up as far as quality control.

Haven't these companies been making these guns for a few decades? Normal companies have cost driven down over time, not up. You can only blame so much on inflation.

My first car I bought brand new was in 1992 and it was $9k. My last one was $61k.

In 2006 a 600cc supersport motorcycle was $8k. Today it's $12k.

I get that the rifle hasn't changed much over the years, but this isn't "covid inflation", its just the natural increase over time of material costs, taxes, labor rates, environmental compliance costs...

We used to pick up mint condition SKS rifles at gun shows still in cosmoline for $99. Now they are 5x that.

Has Glock gone down in cost? Springfield? Sig?

Nope. So why would lever actions?

My first car I bought brand new was in 1992 and it was $9k. My last one was $61k.

In 2006 a 600cc supersport motorcycle was $8k. Today it's $12k.

I get that the rifle hasn't changed much over the years, but this isn't "covid inflation", its just the natural increase over time of material costs, taxes, labor rates, environmental compliance costs...

We used to pick up mint condition SKS rifles at gun shows still in cosmoline for $99. Now they are 5x that.

Has Glock gone down in cost? Springfield? Sig?

Nope. So why would lever actions?
I understand your inflation theory. But at the same time I don't know why revolvers and lever guns cost SO much more these days. Sure there's more internal parts and machining involved but still. The companies that make these guns have been making them for a LONG time. So the start up or tooling costs have to have been recouped long ago.

I understand your inflation theory. But at the same time I don't know why revolvers and lever guns cost SO much more these days. Sure there's more internal parts and machining involved but still. The companies that make these guns have been making them for a LONG time. So the start up or tooling costs have to have been recouped long ago.
1) Cost of raw materials increased
2) Increased fuel costs(all materials and parts have to get there somehow)
3) Rising labor costs
4) Rising costs for employee benefits

At the end of the day, the Rossi is a nice rifle, and the Henry is a fantastic rifle. I wouldn't pay ODT prices, but the prices at dealers don't look whacky to me...

I have owned and shot several Rossi 92s and still have one in 357 They are good rifles the fit and finish is pretty nice that being said I would not pay over 550 for one I just like the feel and function of the model 92. I’m saving up to buy a Winchester 92 next

Looking at a Youtube video from Iraqvet8888 on the new Homesteader from Henry. Looks intriguing. I've gotten into the blahs about most new guns. Seems like gun companies are throwing stuff out just to see if anything sticks. So many new tactical lever guns, Bleh! New cartridges that pretty much do the same thing as previously made rounds. Bleh! Since I'm not into tactical stuff so much, the look of the Homesteader would be a possible purchase IF! It were chambered in something cooler. Maybe a new .44 mag carbine? 357 Maximum? 45 Win Mag? Oh the possibilities. 9mm would be a fun plinker especially with a can though. Hopefully the price will come down to below Suggest retail. Not paying $1100+ for a >$900 retail gun.
What caliber should Henry bring out next?
I looked it up. I like it. I agree it needs a lot more applications. But the design only needs to be tweaked a little

Back
Top Bottom