• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Henry Homesteader

1) Cost of raw materials increased
2) Increased fuel costs(all materials and parts have to get there somehow)
3) Rising labor costs
4) Rising costs for employee benefits
I understand what you're saying but the SKS went up because we can't get anymore, what's here is here. I haven't seen any firearms that I can think of that that has increased 4xs or more that's still being produced. A $1200 (or more) Marlin is NOT due to inflation. It's popularity. And I stand by my original statement.... I'm shocked by that popularity LOL

I understand what you're saying but the SKS went up because we can't get anymore, what's here is here. I haven't seen any firearms that I can think of that that has increased 4xs or more that's still being produced. A $1200 (or more) Marlin is NOT due to inflation. It's popularity. And I stand by my original statement.... I'm shocked by that popularity LOL
I am not saying that a $1200 Marlin is worth it, or that maybe they aren't capitalizing on the current market, or the increased popularity of cowboy style guns due to shows like Yellowstone...

I was referring to $860 for a Henry or $600 for a stainless Ross as being too expensive...

I'm not a Henry fan. Lots of $$ for a lever gun. They're beautiful but it's not my cup of tea at most of their price offerings. I've seen a few .22LRs go on sale for $300 but I'm plinkered out. Maybe instead of offering a new caliber they should work on lowering the standard costs.
Have you seen prices on the Ruger-made Marlins? Not for the feint of heart.

ETA - Screenshot added. And they're sold out.

marlin.png

But at the same time I don't know why revolvers and lever guns cost SO much more these days.
I think they take far more skilled labor to build. Many firearms today are produced in such a way they can be cranked out and slapped together. Look at all the older firearms that required hand fitting and real machinists.

As far as the Homesteader goes, magazine compatibility is what will drive interest. A limited run that took Glock 20 magazines would probably be a hit.

I think the Henry Homesteader 9mm is a good gun*. Some people want a utilitarian carbine, a PCC, that isn't based on an AR platform and isn't a semi-auto assault weapon, or is banned in many states.

I'm not sure how many jurisdictions with AWB's would ban this rifle, especially if the gun were only possessed with legal-capacity magazines. But since all the available magwell inserts are for brands of magazine that are all offered in greater than 10-round versions, commonly available on the market, between that and its threaded muzzle it might indeed be banned in some locations.

Other people (like women, and the elderly) may WANT a rifle that looks like a traditional rifle and not a tactical weapon of modern warfare. Their reasons could be founded on culture, not the law.

If Henry wants this gun to be sold to silencer owners, I hope they'll make a .45 ACP version, which will keep the rounds subsonic in all normal (230 gr.) bullet weights. And will deliver more punch at subsonic velocities. My buddy has a Marlin Camp Carbine in .45 and a Maxim suppressor for it, and that's a really quiet combination to use. Ringing steel gong targets without ear pro is extra-satisfying, since you hear the impact of the bullet on the steel better.

This Henry Homesteader ought to be offered with a shorter stock for women and kids, or just for home defense where throwing it to your shoulder quickly is more important than having a comfortable length-of-pull for target shooting, especially from a bench or in the prone position. For quick shots in or around your home when you are standing upright, I find a 12.5" L.O.P. suits me best.

* A good CONCEPT of a gun. As to its reliability, I don't know. I only watched one YouTube user review and range report, and that gun had jamming issues.

Back
Top Bottom