• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Here we go: 9mm vs. .45 ACP

there is no chin under his beard, there is only another fist!

Hard to believe hes in his 70's now. Did anyone else ever notice that for a lot of the time when he was Walker Texas Ranger he carried a Taurus PT92? Only Chuck Norris can make a $300 POS look badass! lol

Carry what you want. Both are good rounds. BUT...

My Glock 21 holds 14 rounds of .45, and that's all i got to say about that.....(<<<<in my best Forrest Gump voice)

This is something that will never end. I carry a 40 at work and I carry a 40 at home and going out......will it do the job? Just as good as anything else will if I do my part. I have the S&W500, but I dont carry it.....but I bet if I do my part it would do its part!!!

I'm hardcore 45, so that's my caliber of choice. That said I'm confident enough in the 9mm to carry a Kel-tec PF 9 loaded with 147gr XTPs' in my back pocket from time to time. I like shooting 9's. I own several now. Never thought those words would ever come from me.

I would think that the handgun and caliber you could be most accurate with, under stress, would be the better caliber to use. If the only thing that you can hit accurately with is a .25, then that would be a much better choice than a large bore, or hi capacity platform that you have mediocre accuracy with.

Wheeler

http://i332.photobucket.com/albums/m347/xlilvi3tx/696_poster.jpg

Had to do this lol but really I prefer a .45 over a 9mm.

If I knew there was a good chance of a firefight that day I'd have to choose between the 1911 and my .44 Mag. Chances are, the .44 would win because it never jams. EVER. Don't matter how big the bullet is if ya can't sling it at them quick. With 2 speed loaders and practice, bullet count isn't that big a deal.

For everyday carry though....that's a different story.

i dont think many people get up from most bullet hits... at least not immediately.

that being said, 9mm is sufficient for me as the ammo is cheap. Its what I can practice with the most and for the best price. I can put several rounds down range (5-10 feet - average assailant distance i guess) center mass reliably. My favorite exercise is placing 2 rounds in one mag and three in another. draw weapon from holster fire two, reload, fire three. Always get at least 4 out of 5 when reflex shooting and I beleive in about 3-4 seconds or so.

So yeah... one 45 might do the job... but 4+ 9mm will do an equally good job in the same amount of time

"Rule Number 2: Double Tap - Dont get all stingy with your bullets" <--- name that movie

Last edited:
I've shot long guns most of my life, and had a .40 cal CZ pistol in the bedroom drawer. This year I've stepped up my training with handguns and now regularly carry a Ruger p95 and Taurus 709 (deep concealment). I chose this caliber for it's cost and recoil/target acquisition (at my skill level). I shoot at least once a week and still feel like the 9mm is the gun for me. I gotta tell yea, I love the 1911's and wouldn't mind having one many moons from now.

For me, for now, it's the 9MM.. lower cost = more training, faster target acquisition = more bullets down field.

Back
Top Bottom