• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Here's a good question regarding legality of handgun purchasing across state lines

What if I lived in Florida and wanted to buy my son a gun for his birthday and he lived in Georgia? My son found one he liked on sale today only at his local gun shop.

The 4473 asks specifically if you are the one buying the gun. If you didn't pay for it how could you be the one "buying" it?

Second scenario. GA resident buys a gun. Shoots it. Doesn't like it. Sells it to his buddy in FL. Felony committed.

Have to do the transfer through an FFL in FL for it to be legal when firearms cross state lines is my understanding.
Ok. Is there a problem here. I grew up in Florida and still have a buddy there. We are leaving each other our guns. We hunt together a week every year. I live in Ga. We both have pistols, rifles and shotguns.

What if I lived in Florida and wanted to buy my son a gun for his birthday and he lived in Georgia? My son found one he liked on sale today only at his local gun shop.
CC transactions don't matter: it's the one what fills out the paperwork.

If the guy you intend to fill out paperwork on isn't for you at time of paperwork filling out;
FELONY

Shouldn't matter who pays for it, if the one filling out the form will be the actual owner.

Agree with observation. My brother doesn't have a GB account. He found a gun he wanted. I paid for it and had it shipped to a local FFL. My brother completed the paperwork and picked it up. His gun.

Last edited:
I am with the guys who question who actually ends up retaining possession of the gun. Let's put it this way: Let's say a good and dear friend from out-of-state knows you want a certain gun. He calls your local gun store, pays for the gun, and then tells you to go pick up your present. If the person receiving the gift fills out the 4473 and takes possession of the gun, and retains possession of the gun...no crime is commited IMO. However, if the person in GA signs the 4473, walks out with the gun, ships it to the guy in FL...TWO felonies right there, straw purchase and interstate shipment w/o FFL. If he holds on to it until the guy comes and gets it, only one felony - straw purchase.

The acutal line says "transferee/buyer" on 4473. I don't think it's illegal to take transfer of the gun as long as it remains here in GA. As soon as the dude in FL takes possession...problem.

But I am NOT a lawyer...and law doesn't always follow common logic.

No you can't legally for "his" gun.

The real issue we all should have is a non-elected "agency" of executive branch of the government gets to "make law" by simply updating a form.

This should never be tolerated and is the apitimy of government bureaucracy that criminalizes its citizens for doing nothing illegal as originally intended by the legislative branch.

In 1995, the ATF rewrote the 4473 form to make it a crime to buy the gun for someone else, even if that other person was not a prohibited person.

Later the form was revised to permit gifts.

Never expect one federal government agency to restrict another federal government agency. It's for public safety!

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...ions-of-the-abramski-4473-supreme-court-case/

Last edited:
Here are the facts:

Florida resident calls GA store and purchases a handgun over the phone with their credit card.

A GA resident unrelated to this person goes to the GA store and fills out the paperwork and registers the gun to himself.

Is this legal?

Well, what I want to know is how was this explained to the gun shop? Surely the gun shop had to know that Joe Blow was buying the gun and Suzy Q was picking it up.

Back
Top Bottom