• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Here's a good question regarding legality of handgun purchasing across state lines

The gun store was told specifically that the FL resident was paying for it and he the GA resident was picking it up and filling out the paperwork and leaving with the handgun to give to his son. The store said it was legal and they had no problem with it. FL resident purchasing handgun for GA resident boyfriend who's father then went and picked up the gun and filled out the paperwork and gave the gun to his GA resident son.

To me this is a straw purchase all day long but I am no legal expert either. I would not have done it!

So it's a "gift" from a third party, gun gifts were criminalized then legalized through ATF policy. Currently gun gifts are "legal" if not a prohibited person.

"Warning: You are not the actual buyer if you are acquiring the firearm(s) on behalf of another person. If you are not the actual buyer, the dealer cannot transfer the firearm(s) to you."

Form 4473 - 11(a)

------------------------------

Actual text from the form... pretty self-explanatory. If you later gift this gun to someone else, that's your issue legally.

This exact scenario is what got that cop charged (and convicted) with 'straw purchasing; a gun for his out of state relative (nephew maybe) a year or so back.

The gun store was told specifically that the FL resident was paying for it and he the GA resident was picking it up and filling out the paperwork and leaving with the handgun to give to his son. The store said it was legal and they had no problem with it. FL resident purchasing handgun for GA resident boyfriend who's father then went and picked up the gun and filled out the paperwork and gave the gun to his GA resident son.

To me this is a straw purchase all day long but I am no legal expert either. I would not have done it!

Is the son a prohibited person?

No the son is not prohibited. FL Girlfriend bought the gun for GA byfriend using a credit card. The GA boyfriend's dad picked the gun up and filled out the paperwork with the intention of handing the gun to his son when he got off work that day. So dad was basically the middle man in the purchase. Not sure why the son didn't go get it himself but I think throwing dad in the mix makes it a straw purchase and illegal.

Back
Top Bottom