• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Here's a test (cartridge popularity)

I still don't get it. What does popularity have to do with the 6.5Creedmoors performance? And I like 300blk it fills a niche role but I don't expect it to ever be a very popular hunting round. Nobody with any sense ever should have. That doesn't mean the round is useless or is going to fade away. As long as SBR and pistol AR's are popular there will be a role for the 300blk to play.
Yea there are plenty of those types of cartridges. The ones that are great and really fun but are never gonna supplant the more popular rounds. I love a 32 Mag and 327 Fed Mag but they never gonna put 357 outta business. Just like the 41 Mag is a great cartridge but it’s never gonna be more popular than 44 Mag. But I do hope those rounds become more popular so ammo becomes cheaper.

I hate to burst your bubble but I know of at least one major ammo manufacture that sold more 6.5CM in 2018 than any other big game centerfire. I see no reason why the pattern wouldn't have continued across all the major manufactures.
I am sorry, I did not state this correctly, one of the major GUN manufactures sold more 6.5 CM rifles than any other this year. I still see this pattern likely continued with all others.

LOL, we have a winner... sort of. :lol:

Again, go here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_handgun_and_rifle_cartridges and sort the table descending by year of introduction. Name ONE cartridge that has made a respectable dent in market share that was introduced this century? Unless I missed one, you have to go back over a half century (1965 - GREAT year by the way) to find the 'youngest' one to make the list. .22-250

So what's the point? The reality is, all the niche's for most all practical use were filled long ago, and filled very very well (physics and all). Despite that there is always going to be some new 'greatest' cartridge to be introduced for some problem that isn't already solved. Now DON'T GET ME WRONG! I love 'new' stuff and have fallen victim to it myself. Being a bit of a numbers nerd I just had to have a .260 Rem (introduced in 1998) and bought one around 2005 or so. I love it. It shoots amazingly accurate and has proven to be perfect white tail medicine. However the reality is, it doesn't do anything any 'better' than several other long standing cartridges (that I already owned) and the added fact I'm not currently reloading for it makes it a bit of PITA from a practicality standpoint ("almost" impossible to find any selection on shelves).

How many remember the endless introduction of the short/ultra mag cartridges? I mean they absolutely were going to make all others obsolete. Where are they? Today we have .300BO and 6.5CM both around long enough to have made huge in roads you'd assume and both very "popular". What do you think the odds are that Wal Mart will have them on the shelf in a handful more years?

So again, not a slam on "new", just an observation that "new" does not equal "better" as gets proven over time, time and time again. I get some of the workhouses are out of vogue. They don't seem to mind, at all.

2006_pontiac_gto_coupe-pic-3217458694900494763-200x200.jpeg

hppp_0701_01z-1965_pontiac_gto_convertible-front.jpg

Maybe it also means there is bunch of old ******* in Alaska too....

I am eagerly awaiting the completion of my first custom built rifle. I wanted a hunting rifle that would take everything from deer to elk sized game.
I looked at all the new calibers, from the creedmore to the .28 Nosler to the short mags.
Ended up choosing the good ol .300 Win Mag.

When you say "this century" do you mean (this) 21st Century...so only since Jan 1st 2000-? If so, 19 years isn't really a legitimate metric for comparison.
If by "this century" you mean the last hundred years, then how about the 5.56mm NATO? 7.62 NATO, 7.62×39 (Soviet), etc. also spring to mind. .357 Magnum, .45 Magnum....
I read through the thread but I don't understand your point.

Considering the Alaska list is almost 20 years only and exclusively hunting purchases it makes a lot of sense. The other list is also getting dated but I've seen this posted on another forum and the consensus was that it included militarist and law enforcement cartridges which can skew things significantly

When you say "this century" do you mean (this) 21st Century...so only since Jan 1st 2000-? If so, 19 years isn't really a legitimate metric for comparison.
If by "this century" you mean the last hundred years, then how about the 5.56mm NATO? 7.62 NATO, 7.62×39 (Soviet), etc. spring to mind.

Oh Dear Jesus....

Considering the Alaska list is almost 20 years only and exclusively hunting purchases it makes a lot of sense. The other list is also getting dated but I've seen this posted on another forum and the consensus was that it included militarist and law enforcement cartridges which can skew things significantly

Yep. There's a lot of 'tradition' involved in the selection of hunting calibers / guns, especially big game. And if a round performs well, a newer round that offers only a slight increase in performance has a hard time to catch on.
Doesn't mean the new calibers aren't worthy successors...only that traditional views can be hard to break down.

Back
Top Bottom