• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Higgs Boson Particle Discovered....aka "God Particle"

I look at the big bang as Gods start button... lol

always have.

Me too-

I am not very formally religious, but I do believe in God. This kind of science certainly doesn't rule out or preclude the existence of God.

And something needs to be said about the use of the word "God" in the context of physics. It is used in the most non-literal sense possible. "God does not play dice" is a quote Einstein had-concerning the quantum uncertainty theory. He wasn't really talking about "God." He was talking about an area of the unknown that most people would attribute to God.

So- when scientists talk of a "God particle," it is very tongue in cheek. It is really not a religious thing at all-just a poorly crafted catch phrase.

Imagine a car battery the size of a cellphone, give it 20 years.

I think you will see these crazy batteries much sooner than 20 years.....

http://boingboing.net/2013/02/21/graphene-supercapacitors-could.html

If this graphene stuff goes as planned, I would say these batteries will pop up in less than 5.

(As for the gravity idea-I think that is a bit beyond Higgs territory. It is cool to be able to understand some of these particles-but actually manipulating them in any way is waaaaaay in the future.)

I could care less about the implications behind the creation of the universe (too many religious conflicts for me personally), but hey, if Higgs denotes mass....
All we have to do is figure a way to manipulate Bosons and we can create anti-gravity, or artificial gravity. Hell, you're talking an entire new propulsion science with all manner of heavy technological implications. This is as important as the nano technology that is about to revolutionize power storage and delivery. Imagine a car battery the size of a cellphone, give it 20 years.

Someone finally "gets it"...lol

- - - Updated - - -

Me too-

I am not very formally religious, but I do believe in God. This kind of science certainly doesn't rule out or preclude the existence of God.

And something needs to be said about the use of the word "God" in the context of physics. It is used in the most non-literal sense possible. "God does not play dice" is a quote Einstein had-concerning the quantum uncertainty theory. He wasn't really talking about "God." He was talking about an area of the unknown that most people would attribute to God.

So- when scientists talk of a "God particle," it is very tongue in cheek. It is really not a religious thing at all-just a poorly crafted catch phrase.

Busted...lol

If energy has a relationship to mass and the Higgs Boson is used to create mass, then what is the relationship with the Higgs Boson to energy?

If energy has a relationship to mass and the Higgs Boson is used to create mass, then what is the relationship with the Higgs Boson to energy?

Here is a good article.....

http://science.howstuffworks.com/higgs-boson.htm

A Higgs boson is not really a "particle" in the conventional sense. It is a kind of "messenger" for the force of mass. Kinda the same as other "messenger" particles theorized to transmit the four forces. Strange idea, but I don't think it is really matter as we think of it. The way I understand it-this thing is kinda like the theoretical "particle" that transmits gravity.

It is exotic-and even though it is called a "particle," I don't think it has much in common with conventional things we think of as "particles."

Back
Top Bottom