• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Hog hunting cohutta wma

Pholley526

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
66   0
Reaction score
So a buddy and I are finally planning a trip for some public land archery hogs. Cohutta wma seems to be our best bet for the northern zone. A few things I have heard/read is the northern half has a better concentration of bacon especially closer to jacks river falls. However there are no designated camping areas on that portion of the property. On the map it shows cohutta wma and Chattahoochie national forest with boundaries between the two.... Are you not able to camp anywhere on national forest land? Any tips on hunting this property for hogs in January/February?

Where can I get a good topo map?? I have a gps with ga map pack but definitely want a back up. Planning on my buddy and myself walking opposite sides of a ridge with a decent river bottom or where a few creeks run together or are in close proximity. That is some steep terrain.I have been thinking of using some paracord and a block and tackle in the event I do get lucky. Rather than quarter it up and make 4 trips. Does anybody know where a good concentration of hogs would be up there?

Where can I get a good topo map?? I have a gps with ga map pack but definitely want a back up. Planning on my buddy and myself walking opposite sides of a ridge with a decent river bottom or where a few creeks run together or are in close proximity. That is some steep terrain.I have been thinking of using some paracord and a block and tackle in the event I do get lucky. Rather than quarter it up and make 4 trips. Does anybody know where a good concentration of hogs would be up there?
USFS you can get quad maps for area u plan to hunt

That place is brutal. U need to do some research. There are plenty of places to camp. And plenty of hogs to kill if u can find them. That place is beautiful but I doubt I will be hunting it again. I'll stick with fishing.

I was in the Cohuttas yesterday clearing blow downs all the BMT and Jacks River. The Cohuttas are pretty remote, steep, wet and there are a lot of hogs and bears. If you do get a kill make sure you dress it, bag it and hang it in a tree about 75 yards from where you are camping because Yogi will be paying you a visit. The trails are seldom marked and right now there are some road closures. Also the FS road up to potato patch mountain is closed from Jan 1 until March so make sure you check in with the USFS Conasauga Ranger district in Chatsworth for the latest closures before you go. It's a beautiful area and I enjoy hiking in it but it is still a wilderness area.

Back
Top Bottom