• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Home Defense gun suggestions

gkatl

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
24   0
Reaction score
Got a buddy who wants to get a gun for home defense. He also wants his wife to be able to use the gun if the situation should arise.

They are not necessarily gun people - this will be their first and likely only gun. However, if this matters, they have both shot a few times at the range.

We are of course leaning towards a 12ga pump shotgun.

He would like to spend less than $300.

This is definitely not anything I would be qualified to give advice on. I shoot a lot, but mostly pistols and assault rifles.

Would anyone have some good advice to offer up? Is a pump shotty the way to go? Or would there be other style guns that would be better suited as the SOLE HOME DEFENSE OPTION.

Thanks! :)

Mossberg Maverick 88
18.5 inch barrel
Just under 200 at academy sports
only problem is catching them in stock.

This. Also Walmart sells the "field model" Maverick 88 for cheaper, it has a longer barrel though, but can be cut down to 18.5" thats what we did. I think we got out for $125. :) Just make sure you research and know how the ATF measures barrel length so you dont cut to short.

If they are going to go with a shotgun, it's very important for them to review & if possible, improve their "passive security" i.e. deadbolt locks, MONITORED security system, dogs that will bark when people come onto the property, secur. cameras (if budget allows), gated entries, motion-activated secur. lights, etc.
Really they should do that anyway, but especially when using a long-gun for home defense. They are very easy to take away from someone who is not committed or trained in its use.
They work better for "fixed position defense"... like locking the bedroom door & calling/waiting on the police... not wandering through the house in the dark vs. unknown assailants.

Take them with you out to a range & make sure they know how to operate it.

Even better... find a local school & get them some training.
Or since shotguns aren't your specialty per se, find a local L.E. Officer who has been trained with shotguns & pay him a little cash for some expertise.

Many people buy guns for the peace of mind & sense of security that comes with having one in the house to ward off a feeling of helplessness but just like buying a plane won't make someone a pilot or buying a guitar won't make someone a musician, buying a gun doesn't make a person safe nor proficient.

Last edited:
I'm going to break away from the pack and suggest a rifle, not a shotgun. I understand that the objective is to defend at in-door distances. The shotgun does so admirably. It's also slow to reload, slow to deliver an accurate follow-up shots, and it's a very specialized weapon. A rifle, for my purposes, does what I would require in a shotgun and more allowing for longer range if necessary (better to have and not need than need and not have), quicker reloads and way faster follow up shots. The rifle will require more training to master, but the advantages are worth it IMO. I just flat-out prefer the precision oriented features of a carbine. That said, I just saw a nice Norinco SKS go for $200 + S&H. That'd get my vote over a scattergun.

Back
Top Bottom