• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Honda pilot - thoughts

My wife is currently on her 3 rd one she don’t won’t anything else it’s a 2017 we usually drive until around 225,000 miles and get another

We sold my wife's 08 pilot last year. Nothing was wrong with it, she just felt it was time for something else. We loved that car and still do miss it at times. It had ~160K when we sold it and it still ran well. Minor repairs (<$2K) here and there as would be expected on a car of this age and mileage, but no big issues.

Bought one new in 2005 after the twins were born. It now has 104k on the clock.

Never flush the transmission. Replace the dope, yes, flush, never.

Power steering started squealing last year or the year before. We replaced the PS fluid and one of the o-rings (not sure if inlet or outlet or maybe both) and she was purring afterwards.

I always use synthetic motor oil. And don't forget to replace the dope in the rear diff if you have one.

Replaced the plugs right at 100k. Replaced the accessory drive when it started squealing.

Had to replace front rotors and pads.

As far as electricals go - we did have to replace the thermistor when the rear air stopped working. Simple job and cheap part off Amazon.

Headlights hazed over but my son replaced those to look new again.

Haven't even replaced the timing belt yet. Kinda rolling the dice on that one but the belt is made out of some kind of miracle material because on Piloteers folks report replacing them and them being in great condition.

One of these days we'll replace all the struts but the tires are wearing evenly and the ride is still nice.

RE: Off roading. This thing has had the electronic rear diff engaged maybe five times over the 16 years we've had it. Last year we were on some power lines shooting and there was some steep inclines and also very muddy areas. Let my son drive it - climbed up the hill like a billy goat. Went through the mud holes pretty good, too. Never got it stuck. Don't get me wrong, it ain't no Humvee but for an SUV it did pretty well. GAGunguy GAGunguy

I was SHOCKED you got up that hill.

My wifes first one was a 2009, sold it at 150k miles. Never a single problem just regular maintenance. Current is a 2014, we had some problems with the paint peeling off thenroof. Luckily it was a known problem and the dealership fixed it free of charge. No other problems out of it. It has 131k on it now. This is our 4th honda and never had any serious problems. I would not hesitate to buy another. A guy I work with has an older one, not sure what year but it is getting close to 250k with no problems.

Sounds like a great plan. Gas is going up and I expect fuel efficient vehicles will be the way to go. I don’t think I’ll be getting another personal truck.

Great platform. Basically the same as my Ridgeline.

The only drawback I know of is the timing belt having to be changed on a set interval.

You can roll the dice on it, as mentioned above, but from what I understand these are 'interference' engines, and if that belt lets go vales mash into pistons, cats and dogs living together, basically mass hysteria... for than engine at least.

Early models also had some transmission issues that I think were the result of shift solenoids going bad. I think a relatively easy fix but don't quote me on that.

Early models also had some transmission issues that I think were the result of shift solenoids going bad. I think a relatively easy fix but don't quote me on that.

The transmission is the Achilles heel of most Hondas, but the Odyssey/Pilot in particular. I believe Consumer Reports shows the transmission as an issue in nearly every production year. Service the transmission regularly, and add a transmission cooler if it hasn't been done already.

Back
Top Bottom