• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Thoughts on new car stereo installations...

yeah, mine has the climate controls in it, the backup camera, stereo, phone. I dont think you can replicate the climate controls in a non oem unit, but I may be wrong. The "problem" with new cars is once the electronics start to go bad you a f'd.

My unit does the same thing. Plus, there was a chance I would lose steering wheel controls if I went with a non OEM unit. The last quote I got a month ago to replace to the newest OEM factory unit was creeping into the $1200 price point completely installed from a third party car stereo shop but Ford wanted almost $2k to do it when I first looked into it. Just unbelievable.

Went to Ken's last week...$1981.21 (Alpine) for on a '13 150...(and that is with my amp & sub ive had in the garage).
The "stero&speakers" add up to ~$900...its all the add-on bs harness adapters, mounting kit, etc...I walked out like a duck.

yeah, mine has the climate controls in it, the backup camera, stereo, phone. I dont think you can replicate the climate controls in a non oem unit, but I may be wrong. The "problem" with new cars is once the electronics start to go bad you a f'd.
Another reason for me to drive an older vehicle

For those still curious, here's the final update I found a few weeks ago regarding my failing car stereo. I was able to find a local shop near the Gwinnett Mall area that deals in truck/suv accessories that had a like new updated factory Ford Sync radio unit. The shops name is Total Appearance for those that wanna check out the store. I was able to get it for a little over $500 installed by them. They did great work and I just couldn't beat the price. After all the research I put in, I just didn't like the idea of turning my interior dash into a Franken-radio job with something that would change the factory aesthetics of the vehicle.
So, what all does this radio do? Did you buy speakers?

So, what all does this radio do? Did you buy speakers?

For the price I paid ($500), I'm extremely content with everything. Like a few other posts have indicated, the factory units will allow you to see the backup camera when reversing which is very helpful once your used to it. Also, I don't lose my steering wheel controls for volume and channel changing. The biggest advantage is the integration it allows for when you sync up your iphone or android phones. Their all little conveniences, but when you acclimated yourself to them since 2019, you don't really want to learn a brand new system. Maybe that's just me though. :rolleyes: Regarding the speakers, I haven't changed anything right now. Speakers in general are not quite as bad on the pricing scale. But my Ford Edge came with what they refer to as a "premium sound system". That's all relative to one's ear and music interest but for me it's pretty good as is. New speakers would be great but they are not a must have right now.

For the price I paid ($500), I'm extremely content with everything. Like a few other posts have indicated, the factory units will allow you to see the backup camera when reversing which is very helpful once your used to it. Also, I don't lose my steering wheel controls for volume and channel changing. The biggest advantage is the integration it allows for when you sync up your iphone or android phones. Their all little conveniences, but when you acclimated yourself to them since 2019, you don't really want to learn a brand new system. Maybe that's just me though. :rolleyes: Regarding the speakers, I haven't changed anything right now. Speakers in general are not quite as bad on the pricing scale. But my Ford Edge came with what they refer to as a "premium sound system". That's all relative to one's ear and music interest but for me it's pretty good as is. New speakers would be great but they are not a must have right now.
I was asking because I need a new radio for my old truck. I don't have any of that stuff. I just want a basic radio, I haven't found any radio shops yet. I guess mine won't be very expensive. My radio is 30yrs old, it hasn't worked in probably 6yrs

I was asking because I need a new radio for my old truck. I don't have any of that stuff. I just want a basic radio, I haven't found any radio shops yet. I guess mine won't be very expensive. My radio is 30yrs old, it hasn't worked in probably 6yrs

Crutchfield has a vehicle id you can input and it'll tell ya whats compatible.
Whatever stereo you choose, speakers make the system...imo.

Back
Top Bottom