• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Honda shadow

While Hondas call for valve service at xxx mileage, that doesnt always mean they need it. My Honda calls for valve adjustment at 30k too (I think) but it wont need it. If its been maintained with regular oil changes then theres a really good chance you’ll never have to do much more than keeping the oil changed.

Hey I was looking to buy a Honda shadow and found one listed for 2k which is right where I needed to be at. One of my friends tells me that you have to take a Honda in for a dealer service at 30k and it can be quite pricey. This bike has 24k miles on it and I've never heard this before in my life. Anyone have any insight? Also anyone got any advice on what to look for other than the basic oil, coolant, transmission fluid, tires and brakes inspection?
I always did my own work unless it was something like tuning my fork valves. If you get the bike, get a Clymer manual for it and it will show you how to do just about anything you wanted to do on your own instead of getting hosed by a dealer. Timing is the only thing you really need to consider. Brakes, fluids, etc. are all pretty minor things that don't take much time or money to address. If it has carbs, you might want to clean them, but that's not a giant project either. My NC700X has about 35K on it and all it took to get that far was some general maintenance.

T TapcoFan if I pick this thing up the first thing I'll do is pick up that clymer manual and I'm giving it a once over replace fluids, check brake pads, etc. I'll have some peace of mind and I think it'll be a good bike. Just gotta get that AK sold lol

I had a Honda Shadow 750 and loved it, except for the stock seat. It felt good for short trips but any riding for more then a few miles and it made my butt hurt. Not much but enough to not like it.

@VHinch thats what I thought I had a Honda CB350 and a rebel before I went looking for this shadow and I always did my own stuff.
I started out with a CT Trail 90
Then a XL175
An SL175
And
I had a CB350 too

Put a lot of miles on em running around union county in the late 70s and early 80s

In The winter you had the road from Vogel to Suches all to yourself ,

Wore out the cam in my XL175 so flat it wouldn’t run
Had to swap it out with a good used one

All so ever rode was 250s and 350s so I figured I finally need to get an actual street bike. If I could find one between 1500 and 2000 I'd be alright

On that 750, just change the oil, radiator fluid if its water cooled, diff oil, and adjust the valves. YOU DO NEED TO ADJUST THE VALVES. Most people don't do this, but it's needed. It should only take around an hour from start to finish.

Back
Top Bottom