• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Horror stories?..what has happened to you reloading?

I load my shotshells without a press, I've started putting a towel down so that if I do have a spill it doesn't bounce everywhere.
I have to give you props! I don’t have the time or the patience to hand load like that, I’m familiar with the procedure just can’t find the time to do it that way. I’m sure it’s a much better load though.

I used to keep my shell holders in a bin loose. I would have to sort through them until I found one that would work for whatever I was loading. I was loading some 300 black recently and ripped the rim off the case. Not enough lube either so the case got stuck in the die. I thought it was a bad case, so I spent about an hour getting the stuck case out of the die. Two cases later, I did it again and stuck another one! I now keep them in order with their specifics visible.

Not really a reloading accident... but cleaning the reloading room, sucked up a hot primer with the vacuum and it got struck inside the vacuum. Wife no longer lets me use her vacuum to clean the reloading room. :rolleyes:
I did the same thing with muzzle loader primers, plural, destroyed the Dyson. The upside is the wife has never asked me to vacuum again.

I have to give you props! I don’t have the time or the patience to hand load like that, I’m familiar with the procedure just can’t find the time to do it that way. I’m sure it’s a much better load though.
its not too difficult, it honestly reminds me of using a single stage press, powder measure, pour, wad, shot measure, pour, overshot card and roll crimp. The roll crimp is the hardest part. When I first started I had to cut open a few shells and start over from melting the hull from too high of rpm.

Screwin` around with CLAYS powder in 10mm, pushed it a little too far. I had to pick my magazine spring up from the other side of the shooting line, order a new mag catch, and change my britches.. I'm still weary of using it for pistol loads :) It's all fine and dandy goin' bang, bang, but it's the BOOM! That'll get ya. Sometimes a little ̶p̶o̶w̶d̶e̶r̶ Scare goes a long way.

I was loading 20 practical(necked down 556 to .204) made the rounds mag length...accidental bumpfire of 3 rounds inside a dime @ 100 yards. the pills were jamming in the lands hard...lol, hard enough under recoil to slam fire the weapon...lucky I didn't go out of battery. but BOY the brake on that barrel and the light recoil of .204...what a ****ing group.

edit: pills touched lands @2.22"...they were really jamming, LOL.

I loaded 50 rounds for my 500 S&W at the maximum charge listed in my Lyman 49 manual of H110 for 400 grain bullets. Shot one and it was scarily more significant than my reloads at the minimum. Pulled them all, I only stay at minimum now.

Also, in my 500 S&W. I had loaded some 500 grain Hornady with a minimum charge of H110 and after a few shots my barrel came loose. Sent it back to S&W and they fixed it for free.

Knock wood, no significant problems in 35 years. In the 80's my older brother took some interest and wanted to learn how so he came over and I was training him. He started rushing things and not paying attention and squib loaded a 357. Fortunately the slug didn't clear the forcing cone, just jammed in the barrel and locked up the gun. He ended up sending it back to the factory (with 4 other hot rounds in the cylinder) to get it running again.

Other than that, worst thing I guess that's happened to me personally, while trying to salvage some 223 slugs that were seated down inside a few cases I was cutting the cases open on the bandsaw to pull the slugs out. Forgot that sawing metal generates heat, still had hot primers seated and one of them went off in my hands as I was sawing. Took a couple deep scratches on the left lens of my glasses from flying metal.

Oh, one time in the 80's I misread the line item for some 44 mag charges (read the wrong powder line) and WAY WAY WAY overcharged a batch of 50 rounds. When I fired off the first round through my Blackhawk I was surprised how much recoil there was. Squeezed off a couple more rounds before it dawned on me something was wrong. Opened the cylinder, dropped the remaining hot rounds, had to pound out the fired brass with a cleaning rod......it was stuck tight in the cylinder. Blackhawk just ate it up though, didn't even break a sweat.

I pinched my finger really bad seating a bullet once...no I mean really really hard! It hurt!

Seriously, I learned on a Dillon 550 and learned to have NO distractions while loading. If I needed to get up from the machine I progressed the final round through to completion and came back to an empty press and start over.

On a single stage I have a process I go through religiously and dont deviate from it. I have caught over charges before seating and removed them. Again, I dont get distracted, mess with my phone, or walk away for any reason until the current stage is completed.

Thats how I was taught and so fat it has worked.

Nothing powder related yet, but I am still really new to this reloading stuff. Knocked over my trickler 3 times, just a harmless mess, most serious thing is dropped about half of a 5lb load of stainless steel tumbling pins in my garage. Thank goodness I bought the big magnet, but was still picking up pins for weeks, crap - still finding them.

Back
Top Bottom