Horsepower vs torque

StuP

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
103   0
Reaction score
I've always liked big horsepower numbers but now I'm wondering if the kind of driving I do I'm missing the point.

Torque is what gets you off the line, especially in everyday driving in an automatic.

So, for around town driving with few highway miles, (brief trips to 90mph possibly), given similar vehicle weights and an automatic transmission, what would you choose ?

Hp rpm torque / lbs rpm
270 6000 258 2400
or
250 5400 330 2250

I have to say, for everyday driving I'm leaning towards torque.

20 hp difference at 5-6k you will rarely see unless you drive a lot more aggressively than most. A 72 lb-ft difference at 2500 rpm, you will feel every time you drive.

That's what I'm thinking, best for traffic lights drags every time with an auto.

Theres a lot of variables that come into play. Gearing, vehicle weight, how fast your trans shifts, the curve of your torque and horsepower numbers. Just looking at your numbers The top numbers looks like a Japanese sedan and the bottom looks like a pickup truck. The truck might get it off the line but the sedan is going to be faster.

20 hp change is going to feel very small, a 70lb torque increase would be significant. if the vechiles i question are similar style and weight i would pick the 250 hp 330 torque all day long

I've always liked big horsepower numbers but now I'm wondering if the kind of driving I do I'm missing the point.

Torque is what gets you off the line, especially in everyday driving in an automatic.

So, for around town driving with few highway miles, (brief trips to 90mph possibly), given similar vehicle weights and an automatic transmission, what would you choose ?

Hp rpm torque / lbs rpm
270 6000 258 2400
or
250 5400 330 2250

I have to say, for everyday driving I'm leaning towards torque.

What type vehicle?

I’m looking at an Isuzu NQR, rated at 215 @ 2500rpm, & 452 ft/lbs @ 1800rpm for a chip truck.

GVWRis 17,950lbs & GCWR is 23,950lb.

My chipper weighs 6,000lbs +/-, leaving me Enough, l believe for a 15 yard chip body.

Does that sound terrible?

20 hp change is going to feel very small, a 70lb torque increase would be significant. if the vechiles i question are similar style and weight i would pick the 250 hp 330 torque all day long

20 to 70 of anything is a big difference. A more fair question would be which would you feel more, 20 hp or 20 tq.

Unless you are doing high RPM driving like tracking or running hard in the mountains go for more torque.
I swear those are almost identical numbers that I had in my 08 and 17 wrxs lol

Back
Top Bottom