Horsepower vs torque

20 to 70 of anything is a big difference. A more fair question would be which would you feel more, 20 hp or 20 tq.

very true and apples to apples number comparison would be better. And in that example i would still normally choose the higher torque numbers.

HP is good for top speed but most cars can already reach their limited top speed with 200-250 hp so in most cars anything above that is a waste in relation to top speed.

20 to 70 of anything is a big difference. A more fair question would be which would you feel more, 20 hp or 20 tq.

I'm comparing numbers from a couple of actual coupes. Just passing the time, as if I ever find a job I'll need to buy a commuter, (carless at the moment).

Facebook-ec07cf.png

very true and apples to apples number comparison would be better. And in that example i would still normally choose the higher torque numbers.

HP is good for top speed but most cars can already reach their limited top speed with 200-250 hp so in most cars anything above that is a waste in relation to top speed.

HP is good for when you're moving, if you're on the highway cruising at 60 and want to get in front of a truck you mash the gas the trans is going to drop, throwing you into the upper RPM range where torque has dropped all and its all about HP.

HP is good for when you're moving, if you're on the highway cruising at 60 and want to get in front of a truck you mash the gas the trans is going to drop, throwing you into the upper RPM range where torque has dropped all and its all about HP.

why all of my cars are manual lol :). but the point you do make is 100% correct

why all of my cars are manual lol :). but the point you do make is 100% correct

I like manuals, (my last was a mildly upgraded 05 GTO, 440 hp LS2), but no fun in stop and start commuting. Hardly ever had a chance to wind it open, (with any safety / legality), around where I live, so sadly parted ways with it. I wish I hadn't.

I like manuals, (my last was a mildly upgraded 05 GTO, 440 hp LS2), but no fun in stop and start commuting. Hardly ever had a chance to wind it open, (with any safety / legality), around where I live, so sadly parted ways with it. I wish I hadn't.

i totally feel you pain, stop and go sucks significantly more in a manual but i just bite the bullet and put up with it, i also have changed most of my too and from routes to roads that while it may be a bit longer they are generally more open. I learned long ago i'd rather drive 30 miles of clear road than 20 of congestion

Reactions: VME
Back
Top Bottom