• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

House hit by lightning

Doesn't matter much if it's gas or electric, both would have at least one computer in it nowadays.

Yep. It's a propane unit, but the error code says the fan circuitry is dead. Talked to the manufacturer: Cheaper to replace the whole unit, versus disassembly and rebuild with new part.

Had my last house hit. It fried my HVAC unit, new 70" tv, motorcycle battery (hooked up to trickle charger), microwave and fridge. Insurance company replaced everything in a week.

Good when the insurance company stands behind you the way it should.

We have Auto Owners. Haven't had a claim in nearly a decade, but when we did in the past, they were great.

Glad everyone is okay. That is why I was told to use surge protectors

They don't help with a direct hit like this. The Telco router was attached to a UPS. The UPS was destroyed, along with the router. Current came in via the ethernet cables and blew up the power side of the router, which took out the UPS. Everything in the home theater stack was plugged into to either a UPS or a high quality surge suppressor. Again, the ethernet cables were the source of the damaging current. Receiver, DISH Hopper, BluRay, all had ethernet connections.

HDMI, coax, ethernet, USB cables...overcurrent seeks them out and does nasty things to modern electronics.

Wow, that's terrible, but you're lucky the house didn't catch on fire. Lightening struck a house 2 or 3 doors down from where I used to live, and it caught on fire. Luckily it was put out rather quickly.

You might want to look at a whole-house surge protector. I installed one of those after I had lightening fry a few appliances including a TV. They aren't that expensive, although it's a bit late now.

I would be worried wiring insulation was blown away inside the walls and could arc and start a fire later. I am sure all of your GFCI breakers or outlets are blown, your ground wire is probably toast at the weakest point.

Back
Top Bottom