• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

House to house searches

All the while iPhone recording and shouting "Am I free to go?," right? :rolleyes2:

Are there any other Amendments you'd care to roll your eyes about? Why would you want the police ransacking your house for no reason?

Pretty sure if it was a situation like in Boston, they wouldn't "ransack" anything. All they would do is look and say thanks. Again why not help instead of hinder.

Correct, unless it was in the search warrant. If the warrant said they were looking for the person involved in the bombing and that was it, you could have 20 pot plants growing and there would be nothing they could do.

I'm pretty sure they could still confiscate it though, just not press charges.

Yeah, you would get a "freebie" on that one lol.

Pretty sure if it was a situation like in Boston, they wouldn't "ransack" anything. All they would do is look and say thanks. Again why not help instead of hinder.

While your assurance is comforting, I still wouldn't throw away my rights. Cops have been known to plant evidence, and like I said before what if they see a box of ammo, or a holster? How easy would it be to be labeled a potential suspect and be taken out of your home on front of your children. Nope, that's not for me.

- - - Updated - - -

The sky has fallen, the end must be near!!!! I agree with you for the first time HGUN :faint:

If I had a nickel for each time I've heard that.

There is always an emergency and I just assume people in my house be invited. If I say someone is not here, I expect to be taken at my word unless there is evidence to the contrary. Would you be happy to be "part of the solution" if they decided to "secure" your firearms for your safety?

Obeying The Constitution is never the problem.

Food for thought...several years ago I was awoken from a Saturday afternoon nap by the doorbell. Sheriff's Department K-9 unit was at the base of my front porch stairs and another Sheriff was quartered away from the front door. I announced that I was opening the door and opened it up and stood in the doorframe (was OCing a full size 1911 for what it's worth).

Sheriff on the porch says that they are trailing an escaped work crew guy and his scent died on the street right in front of my house. He asks me if I have anyone inside, I tell him no, he asks me if I have seen or heard anything unusual, I tell him no that I have been asleep. He thanks me for my time, gives me his card and tells me to call him if i hear something and walks off.

Food for thought...several years ago I was awoken from a Saturday afternoon nap by the doorbell. Sheriff's Department K-9 unit was at the base of my front porch stairs and another Sheriff was quartered away from the front door. I announced that I was opening the door and opened it up and stood in the doorframe (was OCing a full size 1911 for what it's worth).

Sheriff on the porch says that they are trailing an escaped work crew guy and his scent died on the street right in front of my house. He asks me if I have anyone inside, I tell him no, he asks me if I have seen or heard anything unusual, I tell him no that I have been asleep. He thanks me for my time and walks off.

Great, your choice. You can let them clear your house if you wish, you can tell them to **** off, or if they have established probable cause they can proceed according to the law.

Just for clarification, whether by consent or by warrant, once they are lawfully present, anything police see in plain view or any place that the items sought (in this case a suspect) could reasonably be is fair game.

If they are searching your home for the suspect either by consent or with a search warrant and they open your closet door to see 20 pot plants or a kilo of coke or a dead hooker...you're under arrest. There is no lawful requirement for a "free pass" under those conditions.

However, the scope must be limited to the places where the items sought would reasonably be found. Whether by warrant or consent, searching for a suspect does not authorize opening nightstand drawers and pill bottles etc.

When writing a search warrant, under the "items sought" section, police are trained to always list the smallest items possible to give the warrant the broadest scope possible. For example, on a burglary search warrant I'm not just going to list stolen TV's, I'm also going to list any items which could be used to commit the crime too, like burglary tools to include lock pick sets as an example.

Just for clarification, whether by consent or by warrant, once they are lawfully present, anything police see in plain view or any place that the items sought (in this case a suspect) could reasonably be is fair game.

If they are searching your home for the suspect either by consent or with a search warrant and they open your closet door to see 20 pot plants or a kilo of coke or a dead hooker...you're under arrest. There is no lawful requirement for a "free pass" under those conditions.

However, the scope must be limited to the places where the items sought would reasonably be found. Whether by warrant or consent, searching for a suspect does not authorize opening nightstand drawers and pill bottles etc.

When writing a search warrant, under the "items sought" section, police are trained to always list the smallest items possible to give the warrant the broadest scope possible. For example, on a burglary search warrant I'm not just going to list stolen TV's, I'm also going to list any items which could be used to commit the crime too, like burglary tools to include lock pick sets as an example.

Excellent

Sheriff on the porch says that they are trailing an escaped work crew guy and his scent died on the street right in front of my house. He asks me if I have anyone inside, I tell him no, he asks me if I have seen or heard anything unusual, I tell him no that I have been asleep. He thanks me for my time, gives me his card and tells me to call him if i hear something and walks off.

I would guess you were searched by nose which is fine with me. If a tracking dog indicates a bad guy is hiding on my property, by all means follow that nose, but you don't get to say that bad guy is probably in my neighborhood.

Back
Top Bottom