• Field dress and straight to processer

Votes: 25 45.5%

• Total voters

dwilson42

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
10   0
Reaction score
Just got to thinking today and alot of the guys I talk to just take their meat and have it processed but I personally get satisfaction out of taking a deer from field to freezer what do you guys do?

field dress, then bring to a processor. never butchered a deer before and not sure how to do it properly. ive watched tons of youtube vids on it, but nothing really works for me unless im there doing it with someone showing me how. im pretty sure i could, but i hate the thought of messing up and wasting meat so ive always brought to a processor.

anyone know if the guy in gainsville by lake l anier is still open? i forget the name, but its near the damn store, little sign on the road and you drive behind the guys house to the freezer. does the best sausage. been years since i been able take a deer, let alone just go hunting.

Limited time for me so right now it is field dress and straight to processor. One day when I have more time, I will get back into the full processing.

I usually stay huntin` several days,so I skin,quarter,keep it in ice until I get back,then get it processed.Somtimes I do it all.I can go back to the woods while the processor does the final stuff.BTW,by the time I get my meat to the processor,most of the blood has drained out.

I do a quick field dressing the right way without cutting the breastbone or pelvis area then I take it to the processor but I need to man up and do my own this season.

Used to do it all myself (don't have the time now), but now that I found a guy close to where I hunt (6miles away) I don't even have to dress it out. If time doesn't permit that, I will dress it out and take it to the processor and pick it up the next week when I'm down hunting.

I field dress, skin, quarter,back straps out, neck meat out and into cooler with Ice and some salt..If several days take to processor..I have one whole done in summer sausage with jalapeno and cheddar cheese..DD

Back
Top Bottom