How do u handle the meat?

• Field to freezer

Votes: 23 41.8%
  • Skin and quarter then let someone else process and package

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • Field dress and straight to processer

Votes: 25 45.5%

• Total voters
I kept a deer on ice last year for almost 2 weeks before getting it processed, I dumped the water and blood off every day and added extra ice about every 3 days. The meat turned out awesome. I used to only let it sit for a few days but now I think it is going to be a week minimum.

i may have to try this

- - - Updated - - -

Love heart++++

To many people just throw it away
such a waist!
Its by far the best meat

Drop them and normally use a wheel barrow to get back to the drive way. Processor is 1.5 miles away and charges $5 to field dress them before he hangs them 2-4 days.

This thread is making me hungry. Not much on organ meat but it does not go to waste, either my brother in law gets it or it goes in the burger he says it's better than steak. Anyway always do our own processing much cheaper and gratifying. To me deer is the best meat to feed your family, no hormones antibiotics, or steroids all natural. Can't wait til October!

I kept a deer on ice last year for almost 2 weeks before getting it processed, I dumped the water and blood off every day and added extra ice about every 3 days. The meat turned out awesome. I used to only let it sit for a few days but now I think it is going to be a week minimum.

My dad's hunting club built a walk-in cooler at the clubhouse, and there were always some deer hanging in there (just the meat / bones). When they wanted to cook some venison at the clubhouse, they would go back into the cooler and get the oldest, moldiest one, (probably a couple of weeks old) and cut the outer portion off revealing bright red meat underneath. That meat was as good as any premium aged beef.

Back
Top Bottom