How do u handle the meat?

• Field to freezer

Votes: 23 41.8%
  • Skin and quarter then let someone else process and package

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • Field dress and straight to processer

Votes: 25 45.5%

• Total voters
from field to freezer, much better, cleaner, less expensive after the initial investment of the processing tools(grinder, cuber...etc). Been doing this for the last 8 years myself. Love me some venison!

When I shoot it I gut the deer in the field (field dress) which makes it lighter to drag and gets the garbage away from spoiling the meat. Then I let it hang and bleed out for a couple days if the weather is cool enough, or it gets quartered up and put on ice for a couple days. Then I cut it up in to meal size packages and freeze.

I field dress, skin, quarter,back straps out, neck meat out and into cooler with Ice and some salt..If several days take to processor..I have one whole done in summer sausage with jalapeno and cheddar cheese..DD
i see if thats what u wanna do with it why ud go to a processor i always just do steaks, i butterfly cut my back straps, keep my filets the way they are for me and wifes special dinner nights, normally make a roast or 2 and everything else i use for stew meat or deer speedies.

Field dress and drive 5 miles down the road to the processing cooler. Although the last one I shot...by the time I dragged the 165-lb. carcass out of the woods with a bad knee, I was way too tired to dress the beast, so I just paid the cooler to do it for me.

Anyone hang the meat to age for a week or two before cutting up & freezing?
I kept a deer on ice last year for almost 2 weeks before getting it processed, I dumped the water and blood off every day and added extra ice about every 3 days. The meat turned out awesome. I used to only let it sit for a few days but now I think it is going to be a week minimum.

Back
Top Bottom