• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How in the hell....

He survived for so long because he bedded down and slowed his heart rate.
Could be, but he went over 200 yards before he bedded down the second time. He bedded in sight of me the first time and I thought he was going to die right there, but he got up after a few minutes to follow some other deer that moved through the area.

I lost a really nice buck a few years ago that must have got a transfusion somehow , was leaving as much blood as I’ve ever seen till he got about 150 yds then slowed and just stopped sometimes they are amazing for sure

I lost a really nice buck a few years ago that must have got a transfusion somehow , was leaving as much blood as I’ve ever seen till he got about 150 yds then slowed and just stopped sometimes they are amazing for sure
I think I need to change broadheads. This is the first deer I have shot with this one and I don't think it did enough damage. It's a four blade, but a small diameter because the larger diameters won't fit on my crossbow. I'll be doing some grinding on it so they will fit. That deer should have been dead within a minute or two at the most. I could see blood pumping out of him after the shot.

He bled well until he bedded down the first time, which was within 50 yards of where I shot him, but had almost stopped bleeding when he got back up. He also has a heavy layer of fat on him, so that probably contributed to the wound closing, but still...

I've had them do that, but they can cover that distance in a matter of seconds.

I think I need to change broadheads. This is the first deer I have shot with this one and I don't think it did enough damage. It's a four blade, but a small diameter because the larger diameters won't fit on my crossbow. I'll be doing some grinding on it so they will fit. That deer should have been dead within a minute or two at the most. I could see blood pumping out of him after the shot.

He bled well until he bedded down the first time, which was within 50 yards of where I shot him, but had almost stopped bleeding when he got back up. He also has a heavy layer of fat on him, so that probably contributed to the wound closing, but still...

Wow man.
by the looks of that shot he should have died within ten seconds and bled that much right in the first few seconds.
That sucks.....but glad you recovered him.....what a friggin hoss.
I’ll bet that drag sucked...lol.

Might wanna try some 100 grain swhackers.
Never had one NOT die quickly from a swhacker hit with a 2” wound channel.

Nice job man!

Wow man.
by the looks of that shot he should have died within ten seconds and bled that much right in the first few seconds.
That sucks.....but glad you recovered him.....what a friggin hoss.
I’ll bet that drag sucked...lol.

Might wanna try some 100 grain swhackers.
Never had one NOT die quickly from a swhacker hit with a 2” wound channel.

Nice job man!
Drag dang near killed me. LOL! You know how you just lean forward and get them moving? I had to lean way forward and basically do leg presses to move him at all. My feet came out from under me on several occasions. That was on level ground.

This is what I had to do to get him out of the gully he went down in.
9 out.jpg

It felt like I was tied to a stump when I tried to just drag him up without the block and tackle. Huge body. I have him on trail cams and he is at least twice as big as the mature does I have pics of standing in the same spot.

I could have field dressed him, but wanted to get a live weight on him, which I have discovered my processor does not do, but also did not want to leave any yote bait in the woods. There have been a couple of times I have had yotes move into the area and have managed to get rid of them or they have just left, but they are near and I don't want to encourage them.

Drag dang near killed me. LOL! You know how you just lean forward and get them moving? I had to lean way forward and basically do leg presses to move him at all. My feet came out from under me on several occasions. That was on level ground.

This is what I had to do to get him out of the gully he went down in.
View attachment 2347310
It felt like I was tied to a stump when I tried to just drag him up without the block and tackle. Huge body. I have him on trail cams and he is at least twice as big as the mature does I have pics of standing in the same spot.

I could have field dressed him, but wanted to get a live weight on him, which I have discovered my processor does not do, but also did not want to leave any yote bait in the woods. There have been a couple of times I have had yotes move into the area and have managed to get rid of them or they have just left, but they are near and I don't want to encourage them.

Holy crap man!
That 8 pointer I got during archery was very similar.
I had to drag him up from an old gold mining hydro ditch up a steep hump about 10’ tall which was terrible then do the leg presses like you
mentioned another 100 yards or so up a semi steep to gradual slope.
I would go about 1’ at a time with my legs digging in and slipping out from underneath me like you said.
I definitely know what it feels like.
Man when it comes to dragging a deer like that it really let’s know what kind of shape you’re in.
Where are your hunt spots located?

Call a buddy next time bro.....
I’m sure any of the guys here would help if asked.

Back
Top Bottom