• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How is the milsurp market these days?

I did scoop up a Carcano M91 the other day for $175. Guy had brought it into one of the local stores for consignment and that was my offer on it. 1918 Terni, original stock but has one of those uncommon slotted handguards. Was still covered in cosmoline/grease in certain areas; gun wouldn't chamber when I took it home due to grease in the bore.

I really don't like paying more than $150 for Carcanos but it even had the cleaning rod and stock hasn't been refinished by someone stateside due to a pretty decent stamp still showing on the side. Also has a star stamp on the stock, which means it was factory reconditioned at some point, probably so it could be pressed into service during WW2. Explains the later handguard as it's been perfectly fitted to the rifle. I think it's worth in the $225-250 range but I'm glad I offered what I did because I probably spent 2-2.5 hours on it between cleaning mold off the wood, grease and rust off the metal, and cleaning the bolt without fully stripping it down, which I'm probably going to do this weekend when I get a chance. Bore is great; I wouldn't be surprised if I'm the first person to shoot it since it's been stateside. Carcanos are underappreciated but it's a fairly quiet rifle due to the length and has little recoil.

Overall pretty happy with it. Same guy also brought in a Swiss Vetterli but I wasn't interested in it.

I haven't seen many surplus arms lately. Kinda disappointing but every place I've been to in the area, even some of the stores in Alabama, ain't got jack. Or they've got stuff they had this time last year because it's still way overpriced.

Back
Top Bottom