• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

How is the milsurp market these days?

Any 1903 experts on here? As far as the high number 1903s, what is the significance of the early high number rifles and the later ones with nickel steel? I'm guessing the nickel steel is obviously an improvement but did the addition of the nickel further strengthen the receivers and bolts?

Soooooo do any of you own linked 54r? I got a whole can of yellow tip linked up. Dont know why or where I got it.
IMG_20190426_220053_403.jpg

Tucker Gun sold a truck load of Enfield No4 Mk1s for $49 after Christmas one year back in the 90s when I was in high school. My buddy bought the prettiest one they had but it didn't have any rifling. I bought the ugliest one they had because its rifling was pretty good. I remember that thing was covered in cosmoline. I showed it to the dad of a girl I was dating at the time and he said that when he was in Army they would get in the shower with their weapons to get the cosmoline off. I'm pretty sure he was f'ing with me. I eventually got rid of both the rifle and the girl and never looked back but kind of wish I had that 303 back.

He was not kidding you. During basic training back in the '50's, we took our M1's (just the metal parts) in the shower every night to wash of the dust they collected during day as we drug them every where we went.

He was not kidding you. During basic training back in the '50's, we took our M1's (just the metal parts) in the shower every night to wash of the dust they collected during day as we drug them every where we went.
Thanks. To this day I wondered about that lol. He was quite a salesman and a pretty good poker player so I never really knew for sure.

Tucker Gun sold a truck load of Enfield No4 Mk1s for $49 after Christmas one year back in the 90s when I was in high school. My buddy bought the prettiest one they had but it didn't have any rifling. I bought the ugliest one they had because its rifling was pretty good. I remember that thing was covered in cosmoline. I showed it to the dad of a girl I was dating at the time and he said that when he was in Army they would get in the shower with their weapons to get the cosmoline off. I'm pretty sure he was f'ing with me. I eventually got rid of both the rifle and the girl and never looked back but kind of wish I had that 303 back.
I picked up my first Enfield, a No. 4, maybe around 10 years ago as part of a collection. I ended up getting a K98k, No. 4, Type 56 SKS, 91/30 Hex, Steyr M95, two black powder pistols, and a bunch of Nazi 8x57 and 8x56R on clips for something like $1500. I sold off the black powder pistols and kept all the rifles. Haven't sold any of the rifles to this day, as I have gotten rather attached to them.

Any 1903 experts on here? As far as the high number 1903s, what is the significance of the early high number rifles and the later ones with nickel steel? I'm guessing the nickel steel is obviously an improvement but did the addition of the nickel further strengthen the receivers and bolts?

The early high-number receivers used the same type of carbon steel that the low-number receivers, but had the appropriate heat treating methods applied during manufacture. The nickel-steel receivers made after 1927 are a different alloy that allowed for higher pressure yield and elasticity.

The early high-number receivers used the same type of carbon steel that the low-number receivers, but had the appropriate heat treating methods applied during manufacture. The nickel-steel receivers made after 1927 are a different alloy that allowed for higher pressure yield and elasticity.
Thanks. That makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom